Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dogfish Pumpkin Clone Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

BBentley, I also entered that DFH Pumpkin clone as a pumpkin stout in a BJCP contest in the veggie beer category, and scored a composite 31, which I was pretty happy with!

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
formula2fast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I put 1.5 tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice in mine, and I just sampled it today while racking to secondary, and I could not taste it at all. Granted my recipe had a bit more grain in it and is currently at 9.25%, but even with the malty and alcohol flavor, I had no spice. I am going to add more at bottling.

With that in mind, I did have a very vigorous fermentation and blew out almost 1 gallon of beer into my blow off tube bowl, so perhaps the spice floats on top and got pushed out with all the krausen and yeast. Even with no spice and a dash of hot alcohol flavoring, this beer is great and with time and more spice might be the best I have made yet.

TieBEERio Brewing Co. - We litrally have armadillos in our trousers.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #13
bbentley40
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well I brewed this recipe on Sunday.. we will have to see how it turns out. It is fermenting like crazy right now. I did miss my OG by a bit... only got to 1.054.. was expecting closer to 1.065. Think I had to valve open to little to much on my MLT and it might have drained a little to fast. I will update the thread in a couple weeks with a FG and first thoughts on a sample.

Bentley

My Keezer Build

Old 08-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
Francis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm giving this recipe a go soon. Do you have any tips on adding the pumpkin? Were you able to hit your strike temp? Oh, and how much rice hulls did you add? I think that's it for now. Thanks man!

Chris

Old 08-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #15
bbentley40
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post
I'm giving this recipe a go soon. Do you have any tips on adding the pumpkin? Were you able to hit your strike temp? Oh, and how much rice hulls did you add? I think that's it for now. Thanks man!

Chris
On the pumpkin I baked it spread out on a cookie sheet at 350 for about a hour. Then I let that cool to room temp. Then when I did my mash in I just scraped the pumpkin off the cookie sheet into the mash and stirred it up real well. I added about 3 large handfuls of rice hulls (probably close to 1/4lb). Used 5 gallons of strike water and strike temp was around 175, but I overshot my mash temp. I added about 2qts of cold water (from my water dispenser on the fridge) and it dropped the mash temp down to about 153. Was around 151-152 when I ended the mash. I sparged with around 4 gallons of water at 175, but I think should have used less I think. Had a little over 7 gallons in the BK and still had water standing over the top of the grain in the MLT.

Bentley

My Keezer Build

Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #16
Francis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Cool - thanks! I'm hoping to brew it this weekend. Will let you know how it goes.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
G_Force_5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRog00 View Post
I haven't made the recipe you have here, but I do make a mean pumpkin ale once a year. I use a boatload of pumpkin in the mash, about 4lbs. Bake it at 350 for 30-45 mins at 350. I also include about 1lb in the boil. Whatever you do, make sure you put 1-1.5lbs of rice hulls prior to mash, or it will stick and/or run slower than molasses in winter. It took me just over 2 hours to sparge my last 11 gallon batch with only 1.5lbs in the entire mash.
What do you mean by rice hulls prior to mash?
Thanks

Old 09-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #18
Francis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm brewing this either tonight or Monday. I bought .75lbs of rice hulls from the brew store and plan on adding them right before I add the grains and pumpkin to the mash. Supposed to help prevent stuck/slow sparge.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #19
DoubleDuse
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I'm hoping i didn't miss something because i used a recipe from another site and there was nothing about rice hulls. I'm slowly sparging right now and after all the comments i might move the spice up just a hair to maybe 2 tbps

Old 09-19-2012, 02:11 AM   #20
Francis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I used rice hulls and still had a very slow/stuck sparge. Didn't use enough I guess. Rocking the mash tun (I have the round cooler type) back and forth worked. I haven't bottled yet so I can help you with the spice. What I tasted when I transferred to secondary was great and I did 1.5 tbs.

Quick Reply