Dogfish IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Snob

Reaction score
Well here are two recipes I found.... Either one I'll need to get another cooler......

For a 6gal batch:

19lbs Pilsner Malt
1.75lbs Crystal 40L
.25lbs Flaked Barley
1tsp Irish Moss
1tsp Yeast Nutrient (!!!!)
Mounds of Amarillo, Simco, and Warrior whole hops (4oz Amarillo, 2oz Simco, 2oz Warrior--Try www.freshhops.com)

WLP006 or Wyeast 1099 Yeast

Mash in @122degs then raise to 149degs. Hold for 90mins. Mash out @ 168degs. Collect 7.25gals KG=1.078.

Total Boil time is 105mins. Boil for 15mins then start adding hops mix (8g Amarillo, 4g Simco, 4g Warrior) every 10mins. Add last hops 1min. SG=Knockoff, cool and transfer to carboy. Aerate/O2 heavy! Start ferementation @ 70degs and let raise to 74degs. Primary for 14days, trans to secondary for 30days, prime/keg, age (90+ days) and enjoy! Dry hopping (1oz Amarillo, 1/2oz Simco, 1/2 Warrior) is optional but adds nice aromas.

If you want to try something interesting split+section 2 vanilla beans into the secondary. Taste it over the next 4-8 days till the taste is agreeable then rack it over to another carboy off the beans. Adds a very interesting taste... I held mine for 7days before transfer.

Subject: Re: Dogfish IPA
Author: dWiGhT Mulcahy
Apr 21st, 2006
5:34 pm
Dug out my BYO with the clone recipe:

OG=1.088, FG=1.021, IBU=90, SRM=13, ABV=8.7%

16.5lbs Pilsner
1.66lbs Amber
16 AAU Amarillo (90-0 mins)
8 AAU Simcoe (90-0 mins)
8 AAU Warrior (90-0 mins)

1oz Amarillo (dry hop)
1/2oz Simco (dry hop)
1/2oz Warrior (dry hop)

Wyeast 1099
0.75cup corn sugar for priming

mash 122deg then raise to 149deg till complete conversion. Mash out @ 170degs.

The hopping suggests that you add hops the hops mixture (7g) every 7.5mins.

Start fermentation at 71degs and let raise to 74degs. Dray hop in secondary @ 71degs for 3-5 days then cool to 32degs.

A recpie was linked in the General beer section where I mentioned about the beer...

----------------------------------------------------

Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone

8 oz. American Crystal 20°L
8½ lbs. Light LME
⅓ oz. Amarillo (10% AA, 50 minutes)
⅓ oz. Columbus (14% AA, 50 minutes)
⅓ oz. Warrior (15% AA, 50 minutes)
⅓ oz. Amarillo (10% AA, 40 minutes)
⅓ oz. Columbus (14% AA, 40 minutes)
⅓ oz. Warrior (15% AA, 40 minutes)
⅓ oz. Horizon (13% AA, 40 minutes)
⅓ oz. Amarillo (10% AA, 30 minutes)
⅓ oz. Columbus (14% AA, 30 minutes)
⅓ oz. Warrior (15% AA, 30 minutes)
⅓ oz. Horizon (13% AA, 30 minutes)
⅓ oz. Amarillo (10% AA, 15 minutes)
⅓ oz. Columbus (14% AA, 15 minutes)
⅓ oz. Warrior (15% AA, 15 minutes)
⅓ oz. Horizon (13% AA, 15 minutes)
⅓ oz. Amarillo (aroma)
⅓ oz. Columbus (aroma)
⅓ oz. Warrior (aroma)
1 pkg. Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

OG: 1.064
FG: 1.015
SRM: ~8
IBU: 67
ABV: 6.4%

Style: India Pale Ale
Type: Extract w/grain
Size: 5 gallons
Water: will probably use 1 tsp. gypsum
Steep: Grain in bag in brew kettle heated to just before boil over 30 minutes.
Boil: 2 gallons for 60 minutes to SG 1.161
Carbonation: Will prime with ¾ cup invert sugar at bottling

-------------------------------

What is the difference between LME (I'm assuming LME is Pale Malt) and Pilsner Malt?

Beer Snob said:
What is the difference between LME (I'm assuming LME is Pale Malt) and Pilsner Malt?

LME = Liquid Malt Extract. Can be L-LME, A-LME or D-LME

Light, Amber or Dark Liquid Malt Extract. As has I have discussed this on other brew forums, no one is quite sure what the ratios are to create the colors. I brew with Light LME and use the grains to color and flavor.

Good question (at the time I posted this thread I did not realize there were 3).... from the hop boil times, the second recipe in #1 looks to be IPA 90 and the recipe in #2 looks to be IPA 60. No clue what the fist recipe in #1 is, but it says the addition is every 10 minutes so perhaps it can be either one.

The first two are Dogfish 90. If I was going to do it, I'd mash as much as I could and make up the difference with extra pale extract.

I mean, really, is this beer about malt? It's just an excuse to skip getting your teeth cleaned.

Good though.

Promash seems to come with a recipe for Victory Hop Devil IPA, which i greatly prefer over either the dogfish head 60 minute or 90 minute ipa. Just a personal preference, of course, but because I live in the general area of both breweries, I've had them several times at both locations, and I think Hop Devil wins hands down. If you can't find the recipe for it, let me know and I'll help you out, if anybody's interested.

That first recipe definitely looks like 90 Minute to me. To me, that beer is too sweet, so I'd knock the mash temp(s) down a little. Keep them high for the real thing, though!

Latest posts

Back