Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dogfish Head Burton Baton Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did anyone ever try this recipe? I really like this beer and would even consider doing the 2 batch blend!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
gbarron
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I believe in the new IPA book by Mitch Steele, he gives you the DFH recipe for Burton Baton. Just FYI.

Keg: Rye Saison, Belgian Golden Strong, DIPA, Citra IPA, English Barleywine aged on rum/oak, ESB, Vienna-fest, American-Oatmeal Stout
Secondary: Oud Bruin/Dark Sour, Rye Saison w/ Brett., Belgian Dark Strong, American Barleywine
Primary: Black Rye DIPA, Vermont IPA
On Deck: ESB, RIS, DIPA, German Pils

Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarron
I believe in the new IPA book by Mitch Steele, he gives you the DFH recipe for Burton Baton. Just FYI.
Great! I will have to check it out..

Old 10-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
Herky21

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJPicardo View Post
So what changes, if any do you suggest? I
I'd strongly suggest extending the primary and secondary times of those. A 9% abv and a 12% abv need more than 4 weeks total. I'd do at least 3-4 weeks primary and than the same in secondary.

IPA
Kolsch
Oud Bruin
Coffee IPA
Cream Ale
Mexican Stout in BB

Old 10-26-2012, 01:56 AM   #15
gbarron

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I looked at the book again when I got home from work tonight. Steele gives you the DFH recipes for both the Old Ale and Imperial IPA. He then gives you instructions on blending the two. If you are serious about recreating the beer, I recommend you pick up the book. It is very valuable in other ways as well.

Keg: Rye Saison, Belgian Golden Strong, DIPA, Citra IPA, English Barleywine aged on rum/oak, ESB, Vienna-fest, American-Oatmeal Stout
Secondary: Oud Bruin/Dark Sour, Rye Saison w/ Brett., Belgian Dark Strong, American Barleywine
Primary: Black Rye DIPA, Vermont IPA
On Deck: ESB, RIS, DIPA, German Pils

Old 03-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #16
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Hey guys, so I went out and bought my ingredients for my Old Ale to get started this week. Quick question in regards to the oaking in secondary, as I have never done this with a beer before. How much Oak Chips do I add to a 2.5 gallon batch of Old Ale? I saw some posts for other beers to add only 1-2oz of oak chips to a 5.5 gallon batch. So I am guessing I will only need .5-1 oz of chips for a 2.5 gallon batch. I want the oak to be there when I blend in the other 2.5 gallons of IIPA to make the 5 gallons of Burton Baton clone, so I am leaning more to 1 ounce side of things. Can anyone confirm this? Also, how do I sanitize the chips? Soak in some whiskey for a day or two?

Also, I believe I am going to let this Old Ale (barleywine) age for a little longer than 2 weeks before blending it. I think I'll let it sit in primary for 3 weeks, secondary for 2 weeks, and then oak chip and dry hops for 7 days right before I blend it with the IIPA. What are everyone's thoughts? I don't think anyone has attempted to make this beer yet.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #17
zimmerj81
Recipes 

The best thing to do with oak is to pull the oak when it has given you the character you're looking for. It's perfectly fine to use more than enough chips with this method, it will just add the oak character faster. As far as sanitation, boil some water, turn off the heat, then toss the chips & let them soak for 15 mins or so. You'll probably want to add the water that they soaked in too since that will absorb a lot of oak flavor.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #18
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3002 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
Hey guys, so I went out and bought my ingredients for my Old Ale to get started this week. Quick question in regards to the oaking in secondary, as I have never done this with a beer before. How much Oak Chips do I add to a 2.5 gallon batch of Old Ale? I saw some posts for other beers to add only 1-2oz of oak chips to a 5.5 gallon batch. So I am guessing I will only need .5-1 oz of chips for a 2.5 gallon batch. I want the oak to be there when I blend in the other 2.5 gallons of IIPA to make the 5 gallons of Burton Baton clone, so I am leaning more to 1 ounce side of things. Can anyone confirm this? Also, how do I sanitize the chips? Soak in some whiskey for a day or two?

Also, I believe I am going to let this Old Ale (barleywine) age for a little longer than 2 weeks before blending it. I think I'll let it sit in primary for 3 weeks, secondary for 2 weeks, and then oak chip and dry hops for 7 days right before I blend it with the IIPA. What are everyone's thoughts? I don't think anyone has attempted to make this beer yet.
Did you ever end up trying to make the Burton? How did it turn out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 07-16-2013, 03:32 AM   #19
Herky21

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You know, it would make sense if you did the barleywine and aged it on oak for a handful of months, made the IPA fresh, and the blended and dry hopped right before bottling.

IPA
Kolsch
Oud Bruin
Coffee IPA
Cream Ale
Mexican Stout in BB
CBMbrewer Likes This 
Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #20
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herky21 View Post
You know, it would make sense if you did the barleywine and aged it on oak for a handful of months, made the IPA fresh, and the blended and dry hopped right before bottling.
That's the plan Herky! The barleywine has been sitting for about 5 months now and just made the IPA last week. Going to let it ferment out another week, secondary for about 2 weeks, dry hop for 2 weeks, and go right to keg. Although I am debating just bottling it all... Tough choice to make! I feel like it'd age out amazing in bottles, but don't want to loose the hop flavor and aroma. What do you all think?

Quick Reply