Dogfish Head 60 min clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My husband just emailed this to me, with an appeal. Is there any reason I can't do this? For the continuous hopping, I would just add a little at a time during the boil. What do you think?

All Grain Recipe - Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA (clone) ::: 1.064/1.019 (5 Gal)
Grain Bill
13 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
6 oz. - Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt

Hop Schedule - 60 IBU
3/4 oz. - Warrior - 60 to 35 min. continuous*
1/3 oz. - Simcoe - 35 to 35 min. continuous*
3/4 oz. - Palisade - 25 to 0 min. continuous*
1/2 oz. - Amarillo - dry hop
1/2 oz. - Simcoe - dry hop
1/2 oz. - Glacier - dry hop

Yeast
Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale Yeast - 1800 ml. starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil
Mash In at 152° for 60 min - sparge as usual
Boil time : 60 min.
Cool and ferment at 71° to 74°

Notes
*Continuous Hopping - Dogfish Head uses a device to slowly add a measured amount of hops over time into the boil rather then addin the whole addition at once.
This is a good brew to have a buddy handy to toss in the hops, pre-measured in their own dish, throughout the boil. It is a good technique and the commercial example of this beer is one of my very favorite IPAs.
This Recipe Appeared in the March-April 2006 edition of BYO Magazine

Thanks-
Lorena

Looks good but that is only 69% attenuation. It might go a little lower but I think that is a good thing. The DFH IPAs are a little malty but I wouldn't say the 60 is 1.019.

Brew the beer!

I have Sam Calagione's (Dogfish Head's founder) latest book, "Extreme Brewing" and the actual recipe for 60 Minute IPA is in the book. Your recipe looks OK with the following exceptions:

1. During the boil, no Palisades, just equal amounts of Warrior, Simcoe and Amarillo

2. At the end of the boil, another 1/2oz Amarillo addition

3. Ferment at 68 to 71F

4. After racking to secondary, dry hop with 1oz Amarillo (not 1/2 oz) and 1/2oz Simcoe - no Glacier

This is definitely one of my favorites. Everytime I head down to my parents home in Deleware, I'm sure to stop in at Dogfish Head and have one straight from the tap. I'll probably be trying this recipe myself soon.

Brewtopia said:
Did that Stone IPA turn you and your husband into Hopheads that quickly! :D

Yes, Yes, Yes! After Ruination and IPA, life can never be the same for us. We've seen the light and are coming over to the dark side with the rest of you.

erb- thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely try that. I'm not making it for a while, but it's going to be my next brew for sure.

Lorena

Probably the wrong place but it relates to this recipe for me >_> Quick question, Are the times beside the hop schedule the timeframe in which they should be slowly added or is that just boiling times that I am failing to read correctly?(basically can I get a hop schedule walkthrough)

I'm thinking I want this to be my first all-grain experience :mug:

edit: Also, sparge with 1.25qts of water per pound of grain? and should the sparge water should be 152 degrees?(I think I'm getting strike and sparge mixed up)

In this recipe did you use hole hops or pellets.

I've used both, interchangeably, depending on what I had available. Right now, I have simcoe leaf hops, but amarillo pellets. After this fall's harvest, I could easily get that in reverse!

(By the way- welcome to the forum. I'm from Hubbard myself, having graduated a million years ago from Hubbard High School. I still get there to visit several times a year).

Brewed this a week ago, same day I transferred my DFH 90 to a secondary so I washed the Dry British Ale yeast from the 90 and threw it in the DFH 60 instead of Ringwood.

Predictions?

Back