Does the recipe look ok ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks good, I like the dark brown sugar. How are you calculating your efficiency?

Thank you for the reply,

I have not yet calculated my efficiency, as I have only made one brew on my equipment. (Bock, tastes great, but head only lasts 30 sek,...)

I use a large tank with all the water in from the beginning.
Inside I have a large bucket with a mesh in the bottom, and all the grain in.
During the mash I circulate the water through the bucket while heating to correct temperature.
I do not sparge, but let the bucket drain while boiling and add the runoff in the end.

I am guessing this gives me an average efficiency ?

Thank you,
walther

hi,

I think I read somewhere that you could do without sparging, if you just use a little more grain ?

Not true ?

Thank you,
walther

I think that grain bill is interesting. A bit complex, I would probably let it in the bottle a few extra weeks before drinking. I've never used Cluster for a flavor hop, so I am curious about that, you'll have to report back on that.
I'm with Jaybird on the sparging, you're losing an awful lot of fermentables.

Still undecided on sparging :)

My guess is that since I use a lot of water during sparging (end volume + one Litre pr. kg. grain + expected boiloff), my mash is very thin, and thus the mash caught in the grain will also be thin?

I will need to measure it of course.

I will report back on both sparging and hops,

Thanks for the comments,
walther

I am confused by your spreadsheet, boil volume 20 L? Do you mean final volume or volume at the beginning of the boil?

Also 8125 grams of malt (17.9 #'s) is a lot of malt especially if the 20 L's is your boil volume like your recipe says.

I think your data may be a bit messed up.

if you are mashing all grain you should sparge. Don’t sparge too much this is how I would do your recipe:
18 # of malt
Mash 1.5 qts per pound: (18#*1.5qts)/4= 6.75 mash 154*f
Total LBS Grain X .20 (Grain-Absorption-Rate) = Water Absorbed
18#(.20)= 3.6 gal absorbed
6.75 mash - 3.6 gal absorbed = 3.15 gal in boil kettle
Now it says you are shooting for 5.2 gal (20L) which I would advise against:
you want that at the end of your boil, figure in 1gal/hour boil off

5.2 gal + 1 gal boil off = 6.2gal in boil kettle

6.2 gal - 3.15gal= 3.05 gal sparge 185*F

Back