Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Does Pils + Vienna = Pale Malt?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
BackAlleyBrewingCo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Does Pils + Vienna = Pale Malt?

Hi all,

I've been told that adding a little bit of a darker malt like Vienna or Munich to Pilsener malt produces the equivalent of a Pale Ale malt. Is this correct? It seems to me that while the colors might be the same, the flavors will differ.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
pericles
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pale malts are made from different grains than are Vienna, Munich, or Pilsener malts. Also, although I've personally never mashed a Pilsener, I'm given to understand that because Pilsener malts are so highly modified, they require mashing techniques that are different from Pale malts. (e.g. a stronger protein rest).

So no, no combination of them will be the "same" as a Pale Malt. Whether you find a particular combination to be similar tasting will be a matter of taste for you to decide. I've not tried that combination myself in the past, but from using the grains individually, I believe that it'd be close, except maybe slightly fruitier.

Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Old 06-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One malt plus another never ever equals a different malt. Ever. crystal 40 + crystal 60 != crystal as well. You are correct that you can match colors, but flavors are different. Basically in math terms A + B = A + B. A + B != C.
Single infusion is absolutely fine for pils. Now for the style of beer you are making, you may want to change that.

Quick Reply