do you think it was taste similar to corona?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
4lbs light lme
2lbs corn syrup

.75oz Vanguard 60minutes
.25oz Vanguard 2 minutes

us05 yeast

do you think it will be close to corona? i dont care if you like corona or not.

Did you mean corn sugar? Or really corn syrup? If it's corn sugar, then maybe it might turn out to be something similar to Corona, if you used a lager yeast and lagered it. With ale yeast, not so much.

I don't think you are going to get anywhere close to Corona unless you lager and use a lager yeast.

US-05 is a versatile yeast, but a lager yeast it ain't.

You might have better luck subbing out Nottingham and fermenting at the lower end of the range, say 54-56°.

people who do the coopers can kit plus 2 pounds lme uses ale yeast and they say it comes pretty darn close

I don't think corn syrup is something that will give you good results, especially such a large amount of it (1/3 of the total fermentables)

You will have beer at the end, and it might taste ok. It won't be Corona, but it might be a drinkable ale. I wouldn't have a problem using a pound of corn sugar in a light beer, but two pounds is too much, and two pounds of corn syrup just sounds bad.

no, corn syrup. corn sugar dissolved in liquid

Corn syrup is not simply corn sugar dissolved in water. Corn syrup is mostly glucose, while corn sugar is dextrose. I believe corn sugar would lend a cleaner flavor when consumed by the yeast as opposed to cane sugar or corn syrup.

Dextrose is glucose.

Oh well...wikipedia seemed to differentiate, but I guess that's what I get for living in a wikiality.
From what I've been able to gather, dextrose is the dextrorotatory form of glucose, C6H12O6·H2O, found naturally in animal and plant tissue and derived synthetically from starch.
...and glucose is a monosaccharide sugar, C6H12O6, occurring widely in most plant and animal tissue. It is the principal circulating sugar in the blood and the major energy source of the body.

So there ya go...an H2O molecule makes up the difference...ha

Our Mexican Pilsner recipe (Which people buy alot of) is:

3lbs. Light LME (or 2.5 lbs. DME)
3lbs. Corn Syrup (yes, Corn Syrup)
3/4 oz Hallertau (similar to Vangaurd)
1/4 oz Hallertau

I would say you ar right on target.
You would not be able to make a beer that tastes exactly like Corona even if you tried. This comes really close and that is what you want anyway.

Forrest

I've heard you should bottle in clean bottles and let it sit outside in the sun to oxidize. It's sort of a part of the Corona taste, if that's what you're going for. I hear they even hit the canned Corona with UV light before the close it up.

That's what I did.

20 minutes in full sun and the perfect amount of skunk.

This fooled a room full of people last Spring.

skunked_2.jpg

What was your recipe? I don't see it in your list.....

It was just a basic session ale I did for a party. Nothing spectacular, but the crowd drank it up. I had a bit left over and bottled it up. It was about a month later when I decided to hit it with some sun and lug it to another party.

15.0# 2-row
0.50# Crystal #40
0.50# Honey Malt
0.50# Vienna

0.50 Oz Perle at 60
0.50 Oz Perle at 50
0.50 Oz Cascade at 40
0.50 Oz Cascade at 10

Safale -05 slurry from a previous batch.

1.040 OG
20 IBU's

what if i was going to keg? would putting the glass carboy out in the sun for 20minutes work the same?

This thread has me tempted to brew up a quick batch of this alongside of a few others just because it looks cheap and quick...

My question is whether I can just get the Corn Syrup at the grocery store? The bottles I read all contained salt and vanilla, and some included a portion of High Fructose Corn Syrup on top of the Light Corn Syrup.

Back