Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > do Jack Daniel's chips work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 03:20 AM   #1
Grimsawyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default do Jack Daniel's chips work?

I've been wanting to oak chip something for a few monts now. I have a bag of jack daniel's oak barrel chips for my BBQ. Would it be bad to use those? How would I prepare them? Could I just soak a handfull of them in some jack daniels for a week after rinsing them off well?

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
constrc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

It does work. I used american oak chips which I soaked in JD for 2 days. I strained the chips, and added to the secondary. The result... A little something called Black Friday. What started as a Belhaven clone was turned into a very rich scotch ale with bite... I just finished off the last bottle (originally brewed 2 years ago) and it just gets better with age.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply