Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Do I NEED a Yeast Nutrient ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
kjung
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Do I NEED a Yeast Nutrient ?

As I mentioned in another thread, I washed my last batch of yeast (Cry Havoc), but wound up with a very thin layer of yeast at the bottom of my jars. I'm planning on using this yeast in a Pale Ale very soon, but I'm concerned about the amount of yeast.
A friend of mine, who owns a mom-and-pop Italian specialty store, gave me a small jar of Carlson yeast nutrient (Urea and ammonium phosphate) that he uses when he makes wine, and suggested that I might want to try using it. Considering that he makes wine, and not beer, and he rarely even drinks beer, his advice is a little...suspect ?

SHOULD I use the nutrient in my starter, or if I start the starter off small, and step it up over a day, will that give me enough viable cells ?

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Wine makers are going to be biased towards adding nutrient, since must is generally nutrient poor.

All malt wort is not, oxygen is more important than exogenous nutrition in the case of underpitching all malt wort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply