Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Do Aroma Hops Add Bitterness?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
tnlandsailor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default Do Aroma Hops Add Bitterness?

I've been fiddling with Promash and have found that the Generic setting for hop bitterness actually adds bitterness for additions made at 0 minutes. The others do not. Interesting.......

As I play with this concept in my mind, it would seem logical that near boiling wort (like you would get when you first turn off the burner at 0 minutes) would extract some bitterness from hops added right at flame out depending on how long you steeped them. Certainly not as much bitterness as hops churned in a rolling boil, but certainly some bitterness.

So, for big late aroma additions like in an IPA, are you actually adding bitterness as well? Which IBU bitterness scale should be used? How would you quantify the bitterness imparted by 0 minute additions?

Just a question to ponder......

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is bringing up the question of how precise the IBU calculation is to begin with. The only factors, that are uses in the formulas/programs we are using, are gravity, time and amount of a-acid (AA * weight). There are also other factors which are arearently not insignificant. One major other factor is the vigerosity of the boil. This is something that is really hard to measure.

Here is some wisdom I found on a german board posted by a guy who works in a brewery:

"The utilization factor for hop bitterness is difficult to claculate. It will be determined when the breuwery is build and it depends on factors such as geometry of the boil kettle, boil temperature, heating system .... In reality test brews are made that are then analyzed to get the system dependent factor of hop untilization"

He also tested one of his (home brewed) worts and found that his IBU calculations where of by more than 20% !!!

I'd certainly be interested to get some more information on this. Has anybody access to an IBU analyzer and can run some comparisons betwenn actual and expected IBUs?

Kai

Old 01-13-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

As for bitterness at flameout--I doubt you'd get enough to notice. But I'm no expert.

As for which scale to use--I got this from the greenboard: Use the Tinseth scale for full boils, and the Rager scale for partial boils.

All I've ever used is Tinseth, even when I did extract partials. *shrugs*

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-13-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Intuitively, it seems like the wort would be hot enough to isomerize some alpha acids, but I don't know that enough would be isomerized to matter relative to those that had already been isomerized by the other additions and longer boiling times.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:51 PM   #5
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

don't know if this answers any questions or just re-states the question, but: alpha acids go into sollution ONLY after boiling has isomerized them to iso-alpha acids. their bittering contribution is dependent on the isomerization efficiency in the kettle and the amount and alpha acid content of the hops used. this is the way Greg Noonan puts it in New Brewing Lager Beer.

so, i guess to me, their isn't enough boil time at the 0 min addition to boil for bitterness extraction from the hop. *shrugs also*

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 01-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #6
jeffg

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How about an experiment--boils some water, reduce heat, throw in some hops as you would for aroma, let cool and take a few sips like tea--see if it is more floral or bitter or some combination. A crude experiment no doubt, but sometimes you have to cut through the chemistry with real world testing...

Old 01-13-2006, 10:38 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

At 0 minutes, nil. At 5 minutes, a little. For a low gravity wort the utilization at 5 minutes will be about 0.05 vs 0.27 at 60 minutes. Add to that, typical aroma hops are low AA. I went to a seminar at OSU on "Off flavors" and discovered that, like most people, I have real trouble comparing beers less than 10 IBU apart. I doubt many people would be able to detect the difference in bittering if you doubled an aroma addition.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply