Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > DME: Light/Extra Light/Golden Light? And LME question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 01:59 AM   #1
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default DME: Light/Extra Light/Golden Light? And LME question

I'm interested in trying a Ginger Ale recipe I found here. It calls for 3# of Light LME and .5# of Light DME. I've got a few questions for y'all. Please be patient, as this will probably be my first non-kit brew. I've tried searching on these questions but can't find the right search terms, apparently.

My LHBS didn't have any Light DME, only Extra Light. Midwest is out of Light DME in 1# bags, but has Golden Light. I'd like to follow the recipe as written for the first try, so I should go with the Munton & Fison (UK) Light DME, right?

How will using a darker/lighter DME change the character of the recipe?

What is the difference between the DME listed above and, for example, Cooper’s (Australia) Light DME?

The can of LME is a 3.3# can. Will it affect the recipe significantly if I dump the whole thing in instead of measuring out exactly 3#?

Thanks in advance for any advice

-Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008, 02:14 AM   #2
Redweasel

Recipes 

In my uses of DME I used to always go with the lightest I could find so you should be good there. This is just my personal opinion but when I was doing extract brews I tried to stay away from LME if at all possible.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Go extra light with the malt extract, use specialty grains for color.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 06-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
nostalgia
Recipes 

Thanks for the info, gents. Any ideas about the other questions I posted? I don't want to cross-post over to the extract forum, but maybe if a mod sees this it should be moved there.

I did end up grabbing 2# of Munton & Fison (UK) Light DME. I'm quite sure I'll use the rest elsewhere

Thanks much,

-Joe

Old 06-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
ScoutMan

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The differences between all of the extracts you listed are minimal. You could certainly use any of them as a base for your recipe. The extra .3lbs of malt syrup from the can won't do anything but raise your OG slightly. If your really worried about sticking to just 3 lbs, you can remove the extra or make a slightly bigger batch to offset it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I see a ripped bag in your future BM :)

Old 06-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

In my extract with grains recipes, I use XLDME nearly exclusively now. I even reformulated some of my favorite recipes for it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
nostalgia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutMan View Post
The differences between all of the extracts you listed are minimal. You could certainly use any of them as a base for your recipe. The extra .3lbs of malt syrup from the can won't do anything but raise your OG slightly. If your really worried about sticking to just 3 lbs, you can remove the extra or make a slightly bigger batch to offset it.
I'm not worried, just trying to learn. I'm all for experimenting, but it'd be nice to have a general idea of what changing an ingredient might do to a recipe.

I appreciate the info!

-Joe

Old 06-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Always go to a lighter extract if you have to substitute. 10% changes in ANY ingredient are minor.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply