Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > DIPA Hop additions/schedule

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

First Wort Hopping. I personally don't think that it's a good choice for American IPAs which should be a little on the bitter side. You could simply reduce the bittering addition in place of FWH if you're uber-sensitive to bitter... or brew an APA. IBUs don't bother me one bit, but I'm also smart with my additions. So even though I could have 120-140 calculated IBUs, the beer ends up being rather smooth because of the amounts/placements of those hops (and the design of my grist). If you're very sensitive to bitter, but want an IPA, shoot for 20-35 IBUs from the first addition and fill in the gaps with the rest of your late additions. There's nothing wrong with using a 30 minute addition to help bring you up to par. If you're not so sensitive to bitter, shoot for 40-60 IBUs from the first addition and blast late with aroma hops.

All of those hops are suitable for an IPA. Citra tends to dominate the others, especially if it is used in the dryhop. So you'll be left with something very tropical/melony.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
mrrshotshot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews
First Wort Hopping. I personally don't think that it's a good choice for American IPAs which should be a little on the bitter side. You could simply reduce the bittering addition in place of FWH if you're uber-sensitive to bitter... or brew an APA. IBUs don't bother me one bit, but I'm also smart with my additions. So even though I could have 120-140 calculated IBUs, the beer ends up being rather smooth because of the amounts/placements of those hops. If you're very sensitive to bitter, but want an IPA, shoot for 20-35 IBUs from the first addition and fill in the gaps with the rest of your late additions. There's nothing wrong with using a 30 minute addition to help bring you up to par. If you're not so sensitive to bitter, shoot for 40-60 IBUs from the first addition and blast late with aroma hops.

All of those hops are suitable for an IPA. Citra tends to dominate the others, especially if it is used in the dryhop. So you'll be left with something very tropical/melony.
Thanks. I'm a hop head so ibu's don't bother me. Lagunitas is right down the street from my house so hops is in my blood. Thanks for your input.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #13
Boy
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Most people consider a FWH similar to a 20min add while giving far smoother bittering but with the flavor. I build my whole recipe and then recalculate my fwh as a 20min add, see how many ibus I lose and then add more. For instance my IIPA is at 120 IBUs, but due to FWH impressions it is really around 100. You can brew a big beer with huge hops and still feel like you have taste buds. What's the point of brewing a hops show case if you can't taste all of the flavors and subtle hints?

Old 07-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

@Boy

I see what you're saying, but really you could use a low amount of low cohumulone hops at 60, then another small charge at 30, and a ton of late additions + dryhops. Theoretically, you could attain 140+ IBUs with that schedule but it won't taste like a bitter mess since you're building up that bitterness with grace instead of blasting it in someone's face all at once, or wasting more hops at FWH to get the majority of your IBUs.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
nospacehere
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I don't want to open a thread for this, so I'll post it here. I've put my recipe into several different programs and they're all giving me wildly different IBU ratings. Can someone help me figure out which one is right?

5# Light LME
2# Light DME

12oz Belgian Base Pils
4oz Carapils

1oz Columbus (13.9%) @ 60min
1oz Cascade (6.4%) @ 10min, 5min

I used BeerSmith 2, BrewersHub (online), QBrew, and BrewR (android app). I'm getting anywhere from a 27 to a 72 across all the different ones. Which one is most accurate? Thanks guys. Sorry if this is a derail.

E: I would like it to be somewhere in the low 30s, I think - so if anyone can suggest/adjust my hop schedule for me, I'd appreciate it.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
mrrshotshot

Recipes 

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/looking-formulas-ibu-extract-amount-grain-etc-15997/

The post at the bottom of the page has calculations for ibu from designing great beers by Daniel's. Highly recommend that book.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #17
nospacehere
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrshotshot View Post
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/looking-formulas-ibu-extract-amount-grain-etc-15997/

The post at the bottom of the page has calculations for ibu from designing great beers by Daniel's. Highly recommend that book.
Thanks, that's good info.

Can anyone speak to which one of the softwares is most accurate? See, I don't want to have to do it manually. I like the calculators.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #18
mrrshotshot

Recipes 

I like beer tools pro. I want say if its accurate or not but its never steered me wrong.

Quick Reply