HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > DIPA - First Attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
thamajam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Alright here are my revisions (note I reduced the amount of 2-row because it's mostly on top of the bag so I think I can get away with it).

Grains:
12lbs 2-row
1lb White Wheat
1lb Dark Wheat (7.5 srm)
1.5lbs Orange Blossom Honey (leaves a mild citrus-orange note and aroma, wanted to try something different)
.5lbs Crystal 40
.5lbs Crystal 60 (want to darken this up a tad, prior to this it was sitting around 6.5srm)

Hops:
1oz - Warrior - FWH
1oz - Warrior - 60mins
1oz - Centennial - 60mins
1oz - Chinook - 30mins
1oz - Centennial - 15mins
1oz - Centennial - 10mins
2oz - Cascade - 5mins
1oz - Centennial - 0mins
3oz - Cascade - Dry
2oz - Centennial - Dry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Use 3-6% CaraAroma, which is probably 1/2# and nix the crystal 40 and 60. That will satisfy your color issues without being overly sweet.

You could try toasting a portion of the white wheat instead of using dark wheat. Pretty sure Lagunitas A Little Sumpin Sumpin has a portion of toasted wheat along with torrified wheat and basic wheat malt.

I would like to see 1 oz. of the dryhop moved to flameout.

You can nix this altogether:

1oz - Chinook - 30mins

...or combine/bolster the 15 or 0 minute additions with it.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
thamajam
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Use 3-6% CaraAroma, which is probably 1/2# and nix the crystal 40 and 60. That will satisfy your color issues without being overly sweet.

You could try toasting a portion of the white wheat instead of using dark wheat. Pretty sure Lagunitas A Little Sumpin Sumpin has a portion of toasted wheat along with torrified wheat and basic wheat malt.

I would like to see 1 oz. of the dryhop moved to flameout.

You can nix this altogether:

1oz - Chinook - 30mins

...or combine/bolster the 15 or 0 minute additions with it.
So because of my lack of forethought, the Crystal 40 is pretty well mixed at the bottom of my already purchased bag already. How about just adding .25lbs of CaraAroma instead of the .5lb of Crystal 60 and leaving the 40?

So you're thinking more like?:

1oz - Warrior - FWH
1oz - Warrior - 60mins
2oz - Centennial - 10mins
2oz - Cascade - 5mins
2oz - Centennial - 0mins
3oz - Cascade - Dry
1oz - Centennial - Dry

Eliminated the Chinook, moved the 60min Centennial addition into the last 10mins, moved a Centennial dry hop into the last 10mins.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
bobbrews
Recipes 

I would do everything possible (for my tastes at least) to keep the total cara- malt content below 7-8% of the grist... and that's pushing it. Depending on your goal for this beer, that may differ. But flavor should supersede color in that regard. There are IPAs on the market with 15% crystal, but I don't like any of them... maybe you do.

Are you using the same oz. for FWH as bittering? Or are you adding a fresh oz. to bittering?

Combine the Centennial at 15. No need to space it out at 15 & 10.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #15
thamajam
Recipes 

Quote:
I would do everything possible (for my tastes at least) to keep the total cara- malt content below 7-8% of the grist... and that's pushing it. Depending on your goal for this beer, that may differ. But flavor should supersede color in that regard. There are IPAs on the market with 15% crystal, but I don't like any of them... maybe you do.

Are you using the same oz. for FWH as bittering? Or are you adding a fresh oz. to bittering?

Combine the Centennial at 15. No need to space it out at 15 & 10.
As is I don't have anything at 90mins, so how about I move the 60min Warrior addition to 90mins, so my first two additions would be 1oz Warrior - FWH, 1oz Warrior - 90mins. Next addition would be at 15mins with the Centennial.

With .5lbs of Caramel/Crystal 40 and .25lbs of CaraAroma I'll be at 4.5% of the grist.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #16
Calichusetts
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Quote:
He wants to get dryness from it. You won't really get that with 6-7 oz. honey in the bottling bucket as opposed to 8-15% in the total recipe pre-fermentation. Also, 2.5 vol carb is kinda high for an IPA. I go 1.8-2.1 vol carb with corn sugar at 2-1/2 weeks and I still get a good deal of carbonation. The hop aromas aren't washed away as much by the CO2 bubbles when you stay on the low to moderate side of carbonation. Plus, you get an improved mouthfeel that isn't to thin for a DIPA.
Good point but not necessarily true. Think of hops, adding 1 oz at flameout is not going to get the aroma as 1 oz dry hopping. As for the carb...like I said, I like them higher. Great point about the co2 and aroma though

Old 05-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #17
bigbadal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

use 1028 instead

Old 05-05-2012, 02:48 AM   #18
bobbrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts View Post
Good point but not necessarily true. Think of hops, adding 1 oz at flameout is not going to get the aroma as 1 oz dry hopping.
Not really sure what that retort was a result of me saying, but I'll bite anywa... If you bypass the traditional flameout addition, this would be a null issue. For example, try adding the pellet hops during mid flameout, when the wort is approx. 150 F, for a 30-60 minute hopstand. With this method, more of the volatile oils, particularly myrcene, are not rapidly boiled off, and thus hold up far better and lend more aroma than the typical addition added immediately after "flameout". Try it some time. The results are outstanding.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #19
Calichusetts
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Quote:
Not really sure what that retort was a result of me saying, but I'll bite anywa... If you bypass the traditional flameout addition, this would be a null issue. For example, try adding the pellet hops during mid flameout, when the wort is approx. 150 F, for a 30-60 minute hopstand. With this method, more of the volatile oils, particularly myrcene, are not rapidly boiled off, and thus hold up far better and lend more aroma than the typical addition added immediately after "flameout". Try it some time. The results are outstanding.
Lol! I misread your post...to many union jacks last night. I don't even know what I was trying to say

Quick Reply