Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > DFH Raison d'Etre: Acidity?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Brew-Happy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default DFH Raison d'Etre: Acidity?

I had Raison d'Etre for the first time last night (bottled) and I noticed a tartness/acrid sensation on my tongue similar to acidity. I found a recipe online that does not list any acid malt or ingredient to explain this attribute.

So my question is: Does this attribute come from the yeast or is there acid malt or some other ingredient involved?

The reason for the curiosity is that I like this property of the beer and would like to incorporate it at some point.

Fantastic beer BTW!

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

Belgian yeasts often will lend a tartness or acidity to a beer, especially the Brett and other "wild" strains.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 10-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
Belgian yeasts often will lend a tartness or acidity to a beer, especially the Brett and other "wild" strains.
Ah. That was one aspect that I was considering. I guess I could use a touch of acid malt to mimic the acidity.

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 10-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-Happy View Post
Ah. That was one aspect that I was considering. I guess I could use a touch of acid malt to mimic the acidity.
You could, but it would be like microwaving a steak instead of grilling it, it will technically work, but it just isn't gonna come out right. Belgian yeasts are renowned for their characteristics, and replicating those will be quite difficult, why not just use a Belgian yeast strain?

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 10-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarleyWater View Post
You could, but it would be like microwaving a steak instead of grilling it, it will technically work, but it just isn't gonna come out right. Belgian yeasts are renowned for their characteristics, and replicating those will be quite difficult, why not just use a Belgian yeast strain?
Well, I am considering some of the dry Belgian strains, but I was more curious about adding a tartness to other recipes that wouldn't involve a Belgian yeast (ex: A tart English ale).

Thanks for the insight on this. I have 0 exp with Belgian yeasts. A saison would be interesting to do some day.

Quote:
- Arthur Weasley

Quick Reply