Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > DFH 60Min IPA Clone Review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2007, 12:14 AM   #11
raceskier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That beer looks great!
I have a similar attempt in work right now, about to transfer to secondary. I didn't build a device to dump the hops. I picked up one of these pill holders at the drugstore. It has 28 little compartments with a flip top on each compartment. I weighed out the hop additions on a gram scale ahead of time and stuffed each addition into one of the compartments. I then labled each compartment with the appropriate boil time. I was jumping up and down every 2.5 minutes to dump the hop ration, so at least I didn't get bored during the boil. My brew was a partial extract as well, but all of the LME went in at the end, so the boil gravity should have been low. (Copied from the White Labs San Diego IPA recipe) I had read how the wort gravity effected hop uptake during boil, but had not found a reference to how the wort volume effects it. Can someone point me to a source on that? I am pretty new to this as well.

Primary: , Boddington's Clone, Mirror Pond w/Marris Otter
Secondary:
Bottled: Fullers ESB Clone
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #12
ECOdork
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Right on, I didn't mean hop utilization wasn't relevant, just that I'm aware of the issue when changing your water volumes and if anyone had success with a half-boil.

From what little I know, doubling the hops sounds kinda reasonable. I'll check that website and I'll compare my past recipes with some full boils of the same/similar brews and see if I can't figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook
ECODork, "hop utilization this / that".... well that is what this beer is ALL about. I think thats a requirement on this one, full 5 gallon boil. Whats the point of doing a DFH clone without full hop utilization?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply