The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > DFH 120 minute clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #681
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby
Any thoughts on using brown sugar for the secondary additions. I am planning a stout with the dfh 120 technique. Thanks.
Just a bump to see if anyone has tried secondary fermentation sugar additions with brown sugar instead of corn sugar. Any experience with flavor profiles or theories about flavors in a high gravity stout?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #682
Jsmith82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I can't speak for doing this with the 120, I used dextrose. But I can say I brewed a high gravity cider using dark brown sugar to bump the ABV and it ruined the flavor. Well ruined is harsh, lets say it took over the flavor, it's all you could taste. I had only used a couple pounds, I'd recommend you maybe use a pound max to get a little taste and flavor then stick to good ol corn sugar.

Hope that helps!

Old 10-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #683
sfrisby

Recipes 

Great. Thanks. This isn't the batch I want to experiment too much with.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:57 AM   #684
Bierliebhaber
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 27

In the context of this thread, I don't know what you mean by "high gravity stout." But I frequently use 2-3 lbs of dark brown sugar in my Imperial stouts that range 10-11% abv. The key is much of the time store brands tend to have a better flavor than the major brand. These stouts have scored very well in comps and are greatly enjoyed by many critical beer connoisseurs. No worries on off flavors! Also, I brewed an 8g batch of 22% barley wine...err..brandy where I added 8lbs of light brown sugar. Again, no off flavors. Quite the contrary, this brew has been raved over at tastings at the LHBS. The point is if you have a good malt base, there is no reason to fear brown sugar.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #685
sfrisby

Recipes 

I have a base stout recipe with a target OG of 1110, no sugar added. Then, as primary fermentation dies down, like with this dfh 120 thread, pitch a big wlp099 starter and begin sugar additions. This is where I was looking to add brown sugar. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #686
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Well, I my had my last attempt at this to like 26% ish, I now have like 3lbs of Amarillo, citra centennial and 2 of simco on the way now. I think imma do a 10 gallon batch and limit it to 15-18 abv....getting excited!

My eherms build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/rea...course-325623/

Help support my new LHBShttp://www.facebook.com/socalhomebrewing

Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #687
SLCRebellion
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I finally attempted this bad boy and man what a fun beer! My plan was to use the grain schedule from the beginning of this thread, and then use Pacific Jade Hops for bittering, and Citra, Nelson Sauvin, and Pacific Jade through the rest of the boil. I wanted to have the beer finish out at 15%.

I missed my OG by a few points, and ended up at 1.090, no big deal since I can make up for it with the sugar additions. I used 6 oz of Pacific Jade between 90 and 60 minutes. I stood outside with the temp at 28* and with a 30 mph wind blowing, tossing in a few pellets at a time. I then combined 2 oz each of Pacific Jade, Nelson Sauvin, and Citra and added these in equal increments between 30 and 0 minutes. Then at flame out I added another 3 oz of Citra, and 2 oz of Nelson. Holy Shiz talk about soup. I pitched a 6 liter starter of San Diego Super Yeast to get the party started, fit it with a blow off tube, and within 6 hours it was rockin and rollin. The yeast tore through this at an amazing pace. I checked gravity at the 48 hour mark and it was already at .028. I added 6 oz of sugar and had to beg my High Gravity Yeast Starter to hurry. I added 12 oz of sugar twice the next day and then pitched a 4 liter starter of the High Gravity Yeast. I added a total of 5 lbs of Dextrose for a total OG of 1.125. The yeast did an awesome job, and after 2 weeks in the primary, I am down to .010. I am sitting just a touch over 15%.

I am amazed how sweet this beer is at that gravity. The Hop flavor is out of this world! lots of Citrus flavor, with passion fruit, and a nice hint of sauvin flavor from the Nelson. I am surprised that the bittering is actually pronounced, after reading the other posts. The plan is to do 3 different dry hop additions once I transfer this to the secondary, with Citra and Nelson. I am stoked, this beer is going to rock!

Old 12-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #688
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Cool story bro! It's sweet at that gravity because it's actually not at that gravity - the super high alcohol is making it read lower than a beer with the same amount of residual sugar and less alcohol would. But, I'll bet it will come down more. That 099 is a creeper. Mine finished at "1.00". Sounds delicious.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #689
SLCRebellion
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just an update for those that are still following this thread. I transferred my beer from the primary to secondary last night and the gravity has stabilized at .007, not too shabby. Tasted the sample again, and HOLY CRAP! Grapefruit and Citrus central. It is not nearly as sweet and syrupy now, but the aromas are top notch. Added my first dry hop addition of 1oz each Citra, Nelson and Pacific Jade, Hop Bomb here we go!

Jsmith82 Likes This 
Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #690
sfrisby

Recipes 

Being that I didn't find any threads with solid info on The Bruery's Black Tuesday or Chocolate Rain, and since this thread was my inspiration, I thought this would be the best place to inquire.

I am brewing an attempt at Chocolate Rain. That is Bruery's boubon barrel aged imperial stout aged on cocoa nibs and vanilla beans. I did a stout that went from 1.120 to 1.029 with S-05. I then pitched a 6L starter of WLP099 and added a 50-50 split of brown sugar and corn sugar in 8oz increments. This is where it gets weird. It seems if done right, you all are adding 8oz sugar every 12 hours. So the yeast is burning through it at about 8 points a day. Mine is working through it at a rate of 1 point every 2 days. It was that rate at the beginning and is still going strong, but at that same slow rate since Dec 19th.

At one point I was concerned and did another 1L starter of 099 that I stepped up to 2L and pitched that. Still the same rate. Good news is it has been consistant and keeps plugging along after 7 of 12 planned sugar additions. Temperature in temp controlled fridge in garage doesn't get above 60 right now, so I have it in a closet upstairs at 68-72*. Any thoughts on the difference in 099 progress? Thanks.

Quick Reply