Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > DFH 120 minute clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #541
Jsmith82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Man what a crazy brew. Last night after the temperature spike I put it in a water bath in the garage, and it cooled down to 64 in about an hour. I checked on it before bed, and it was chugging away. Then, sometime last night, it completely erupted like a volcano, popping the airlock out and spewing over the sides of the carboy. I've never had a beer just decide to do that suddenly on day 4 if fermentation. Pitched the SHG yeast this morning. Going to start feeding it tonight.
Sounds healthy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #542
wooby111
Recipes 

Quote:
Man what a crazy brew. Last night after the temperature spike I put it in a water bath in the garage, and it cooled down to 64 in about an hour. I checked on it before bed, and it was chugging away. Then, sometime last night, it completely erupted like a volcano, popping the airlock out and spewing over the sides of the carboy. I've never had a beer just decide to do that suddenly on day 4 if fermentation. Pitched the SHG yeast this morning. Going to start feeding it tonight.
You are a brave, brave man doing this beer in a carboy. I decided to do it in a bottling bucket to make the hydro checks and sugar adds easier. Drew the samples and 1-2L volumes to mix sugar off the bottling spigot.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #543
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooby111

You are a brave, brave man doing this beer in a carboy. I decided to do it in a bottling bucket to make the hydro checks and sugar adds easier. Drew the samples and 1-2L volumes to mix sugar off the bottling spigot.
I only did because it's the biggest thing I've got, at 7.5 gallons. My buckets are only 6

Old 04-18-2012, 04:51 AM   #544
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Had to make the switch. I've never had a beer act like this. Every few hours it has a huge surge of krausen and blows the top off. Crazy stuff... I'm not too worried about infection since its 5000 IBU and currently about 12% ABV after only 4 days

image-2243490067.jpg   image-1386503452.jpg  

Old 04-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #545
hopcop
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber
Had to make the switch. I've never had a beer act like this. Every few hours it has a huge surge of krausen and blows the top off. Crazy stuff... I'm not too worried about infection since its 5000 IBU and currently about 12% ABV after only 4 days
I had to change airlocks 5 times for this brew. At one point my lid on my bucket was domed! I've never had this happen either. It's a fun brew cause usually after I get done brewing I want to brew again right away. This kept my mind off of that. After I bottled this beast I couldn't believe how much yeast was all over the bucket. I thought I was keeping it clean but I found yeast in places that I couldn't imagine got there.

On a side note. I brewed a Rye IPA on Saturday with my generation 5 1056 and I've had to change the airlock twice since. Either I've got some serious healthy yeast on my hands or I have some wild yeast moshing around in the bucket. I love the fermentation step!
Cheers

Primary: too damn hot
Bottled: 120min Clone, Winter Bock, 90min clone.
Yeast Bank: Generation 5 1056, Generation 2 1028, Bottle Harvested Ommegang Abbey Ale.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #546
jddhammer
Recipes 

I am entering the homestretch on my take on brewing this beer. I followed the basics that I've seen in this thread,
Here are my notes

- I did a 30 min bulk bittering addition at 120 and continuous hopped the last 90 mins
- I found a measuring spoon that doled out just the right amount of mixed hops at 3 min intervals into a hop bag. No dixie cups.
- Hit 1.098 OG
- Pitched on fresh WLP001 yeast cake in plastic conical in a cool basement
- Let the yeast slowly work it down to 1.019 over 5 days at <65*.
- On 5th day pitched 3L WLP099 starter with 2# dextrose (it dropped 24 pts on Day 4)
- Rather than measured amounts, I managed the gravity and adjusted the sugar additions. I prepared 6 and 8 oz baggies and mixed and matched.
- Added sugar to target 1.022 for 4 days.
- Added sugar to target 1.016 for 4 days
- Warmed it up and let it drop to 1.009, then 1.006 FG Beersmith estimated OG 1.143 ~18%
- Accidentally overheated it to about 93*, so racked off yeast to a secondary and repitched some spare WLP099 from the starter
- Begin dry hopping in small bags that I sewed up from paint strainer bags.

Take aways:
- The conical works great for this beer.
> I drilled a 1" or so access hole in the top for my funnel, so I never took the top off, which makes up for the big headspace.
> The racking port makes hydro checks clean and simple and also mixes the dextrose easily without a whisk.
> If I were doing this in a bucket, I'd consider putting a racking port/bottling tap on it, a bottling bucket would be too low.
> With all the yeast and potential for muck in this beer, it's nice to dump the trub and mix the yeast up every few days.
- I oxygenated the wort a couple times, but not after day 3. Oxygenated the WLP099 starter on the stir plate. Not sure it's needed when pitched on a cake.
- It tasted good every day. 1.020 tasted noticeably sweet, which is why I kept it much lower than I thought I would though the sugar additions.
- Need better fermentation temperature control.
- It's going to be a long month or so waiting for the the first bottle.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:53 AM   #547
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Jddhammer: I'm super jealous about the conical. That would have made it much more simple!

Old 04-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #548
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post
Jddhammer: I'm super jealous about the conical. That would have made it much more simple!
i just picked up a 14 gallon blichman and cant wait till i can afford to brew this sucker again with the new conicle

Old 04-19-2012, 02:22 AM   #549
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokramer

i just picked up a 14 gallon blichman and cant wait till i can afford to brew this sucker again with the new conicle
After buying a $600 fermenter, there would probably be a lot of things I couldn't afford

Old 04-19-2012, 02:25 AM   #550
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
After buying a $600 fermenter, there would probably be a lot of things I couldn't afford
lol, i got a great deal from a member on here..... 350 for the fermentor and blichman plate chiler and thrumometer! definitely not cheap, and im not even set up for 10 gallon batches yet but it was a price i couldnt pass up

Quick Reply