Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Devil May Cry (10.10.10 Edition) - Official Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #171
camiller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
My batch is not carbonating and I'm guess that's due to the fact that it went from 1.100 to 1.000 and the yeast has nothing left to eat for carbonation.
Didn't you add priming sugar?

How long ago did you bottle?

I'm also having little to no carbing but I suspect that the yeast is stressed by the amount of Alc (14.4% in mine). Your looks 13.26%. I'm going to try to inoculate with active yeast from a starter at or just after high krausen based on leghorn's post #1398 in http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/im-t...leywine-63737/ (Should be on or near the last page depending on how many posts per page you display)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #172
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

(Why does everyone keep asking me that?)
Yes, I added priming sugar. Enough for 3 vols back in December. Like you I believe the yeast is stressed out, man. Adding active krausen is a good idea. Great link. I was especially wondering how much to add. Thanks!

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 06-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #173
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts

Quote:
(Why does everyone keep asking me that?)
Yes, I added priming sugar. Enough for 3 vols back in December. Like you I believe the yeast is stressed out, man. Adding active krausen is a good idea. Great link. I was especially wondering how much to add. Thanks!
Probably because you said this!

Quote:
My batch is not carbonating and I'm guess that's due to the fact that it went from 1.100 to 1.000 and the yeast has nothing left to eat for carbonation. I bottled everything in to flip tops and am wondering if I should add some low gravity wort to assist with this problem. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on how much, what gravity, etc?

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 06-14-2010, 12:00 AM   #174
leghorn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
try to inoculate with active yeast from a starter at or just after high krausen based on leghorn's post #1398
This has worked out great. Since I posted it in the other thread, I'll repeat it here. I took WLP099 and created a starter of 1 cup XLDME/4 cups water. Included yeast nutrient. I waited until just after high krausen, and then shook the starter vigorously, then added to each bottle. I used a liquid medicine syringe you can get free from any pharmacy. Used 1.25mL/bottle. The 1.25 mL was not scientific, just felt right, but it has carbonated formerly still beers and is a good insurance policy for any high gravity brew. It will be my standing practice for anything above 9% going forward.

There is not discernable flavor impact, just makes sure there is carbonation. Good luck with yours!

Old 06-16-2010, 02:54 AM   #175
danon104
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wow!!!!!!

I tried this recipe shortly after I started lurking on this forum. I tapped the keg last weekend and HOLY SHNIKES its awesome!!!!!!!! Great body, a little residual sweetness, mouthfeel like your rubbing your tongue on velvet, even with carbonation to 2.5-3.0 vols.

I tapped the keg and was screwing around with serving pressures etc. before I realized I had drank 3 pints of the stuff. Apparently the %abv calculation was fairly accurate as well.

I appreciate the wealth of knowledge I have gained on this forum as well as the knowledge that I'm not the only one who shares this obsession.

I will be upgrading my membership as soon as some additional funds become available.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #176
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

Got the Portugese floor corker today, so hoepfully I'll be bottling tomorrow. I also went ahead and got 2 packs of S-04. Do you think it would be better to use one pack per 5 gallons (more or less)? Or should I make a starter of sorts and "pitch" at high krausen. I'd like it to be carbonated by October.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #177
Edcculus
Recipes 

Well finally got this beast bottled last weekend. Ended up going with a pack of S0-4 per batch and enough table sugar to get around 3.4 volumes. 10 gallons corked and caged. Seems like it has mellowed a lot, but man it is ever strong! Not really hot, there is just a lot of freaking alcohol in this beer. I'm betting carbonation and being chilled (along with a few more months) will vastly improve the "booziness".

Old 07-15-2010, 04:29 AM   #178
Nerdie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

why is this a sticky? I don't get it?

Old 07-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #179
Edcculus
Recipes 

Each year we do an "anniversary series swap". It always falls on dates like 10-10-10, 9-9-09 etc. We decide on a big recipe more than a year before, then brew it as close to a year before the date as we can. Obviously this year we brewed close to 10-10-09. When it gets closer to 10-10-10, we will organize a swap with everyone who actually brewed the beer. Its a sticky so its easy to find and doesn't get buried in one of the forums.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #180
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdie View Post
why is this a sticky? I don't get it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
Each year we do an "anniversary series swap". It always falls on dates like 10-10-10, 9-9-09 etc. We decide on a big recipe more than a year before, then brew it as close to a year before the date as we can. Obviously this year we brewed close to 10-10-09. When it gets closer to 10-10-10, we will organize a swap with everyone who actually brewed the beer. Its a sticky so its easy to find and doesn't get buried in one of the forums.
Some more examples for Nerdie:

The HBT Collective Collection
and while we are talking about it - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/too-...1-11-a-180867/

Quick Reply