Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Devil May Cry (10.10.10 Edition) - Official Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #131
BADCL0WN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Delerium Tremens Yeast

What is the group's thoughts on using a yeast cake from Delerium Tremens for this brew. I have a batch ready to rack and don't want to waste the yeast (took me three times trying get it cutured). While I know it wont be the same beer, I love that yeast.

My concern is that the DT yeast will ferment this out too dry. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #132
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADCL0WN View Post
What is the group's thoughts on using a yeast cake from Delerium Tremens for this brew. I have a batch ready to rack and don't want to waste the yeast (took me three times trying get it cutured). While I know it wont be the same beer, I love that yeast.

My concern is that the DT yeast will ferment this out too dry. Thoughts?
With all that alcohol in there it's gonna be hard to make it too dry imo. You'd be surprised how low the FG needs to be to prevent it from tasting too sweet (from the alcohol).

However I think mine may have went too far. I used the Flanders Golden Ale yeast and fed the sugar in the fermenter and it went all the way down to 1.004 (from 1.100).
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 01-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #133
BADCL0WN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Wow thats pretty low from 1.100. I was impressed with the Delerium Tremens yeast getting down to 1.002 (from 1.070).

Old 02-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #134
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2267 Times on 1617 Posts
Likes Given: 1244

Ok, so I made a half-batch, and after having it sitting in my computer room for a few months, I tried one.

Flat.

Sweet.

Apparently, I did not get enough yeast, even though I siphoned some of the cake. So, should I make up a starter, and recap each bottle after adding a bit of the new yeast?

Homer's Brew Log

Old 02-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #135
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

How long has it been bottled? It can take a few months for a beer this big to carb.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #136
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2267 Times on 1617 Posts
Likes Given: 1244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
How long has it been bottled? It can take a few months for a beer this big to carb.
It's been a few months. I got a late start, but was brewed just after the "official" brew period. Then a good amount of fermentation. At bottling I did normal, but tried to suck some of the yeast off the cake as I siphoned into bottling bucket. The bottles have been sitting in my computer room, which should be around 70 degrees.

It tastes ok, other than being a bit sweet and flat, and the hops, which were way too much at the time, have mellowed out and is just about right IMO. Maybe not for this particular style yet, but pretty mellow now. If I could get a little bit of carb (I didnt' go overboard on the priming sugar because I used standard bottles), and lose some sweetness, it should be a not bad beer.

As it is, it's got a sugar-water flavor that doesn't go down very easily.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 02-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #137
leghorn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Could you get a starter going on a high gravity yeast, and then use an eye dropper to add it to the bottles and re-cap? I doubt the yeast would matter, as long as it can handle the ABV...

Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #138
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm a bit worried at mine too. I planned on bottling mine before christmas and had made up a starter of washed flanders golden ale yeast so I could add a little at bottling, but when I looked at the carboy the cloudy yeast layer had not yet reached the bottom. So I put the flask in the fridge where it stayed all 3 weeks I was gone for vacation. When I got back there was a tiny little bit of something fuzzy growing on the surface so I dumped it. I bottled last week with a bit of us-05 that I top cropped from an active blonde ale I have going. Hopefully that stuff does the job, but at 14.5% ABV, it might be a struggle. I've been looking at the bottles to see if it looks like anything is going on in there, but all the yeast has settled to the bottom. In a couple months I'll open one up to check, and if it's not carbed, may think about adding a speck of dry champagne yeast to each bottle.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 02-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #139
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

There are a lot of pages here, and I'm a little lazy. Is anyone adding brett to this beer? I still have mine in bulk storage and plan on bottling in Belgian/champagne bottles in a month or two. I'm sure I'll have to add some yeast at bottling. At ~13% the yeast thats been settling out over the past few months couldn't even ferment a single molecule of invert sugar. I was thinking of adding brett and another ale yeast at bottling. The ale yeast/brett combo will hopefully get it nice and carbed by October. I'm thinking the brett will make aging this beer very interesting. Thoughts?

Old 02-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #140
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 53 Posts

Half of mine is aging with Wyeast Brett C and two pounds of dates. To bottle condition I will krausen the beer with actively fermenting brett L. Corks and cages for sure, I'm aiming for 3 volumes but it may exceed that by a good margin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply