Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Devil May Cry (10.10.10 Edition) - Official Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #101
MacBruver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just mashed in!! I turned this into an 8 gallon batch to max out my equipment... but, i kinda over-maxxed it. I should have added water and grain in two or three separate batches. Oh well, it's all (mostly) in there now. Now comes the waiting...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 06:08 PM   #102
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ended up with about 7.5 gallons of 1.080 wort. This was the first time using a banjo burner and it really made all the difference... with a good vigorous boil, I got a much, much better cold break. I brewed Sacc's BPA last weekend as a starter beer, and split the slurry and pitched it into two separate ale pails. Unfortunately I didn't quite get the slurry divided up evenly, so one got a bit more than the other... but they both took off pretty quickly. Within 3 hours they were bubbling faster than anything I've ever brewed.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:37 AM   #103
C4PNJ4ZZ
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4PNJ4ZZ View Post
is the WL Golden Ale a fast fermenter? I brewed my Belgian pale saturday morning, pitched a decanted 1L starter around 4PM. My ferm closet is about 63F. I had active fermentation by 11pm. The krausen had already fallen by the time I got home from work yesterday. It's at a very slow bubble now. I moved it to a warmer room today to make sure it dries out ok.
In case anyone finds this in a WLP 570 search
I just pulled a sample of the Pale ale starter, 1.015. My mash was pretty messed up so I'm not too worried about the high gravity. The sample tasted pretty good, slightly tart and phenolic

The carboy hasn't had any activity for a week. The active fermentation was essentially done in 4 days. It was a very vigorous fermentation. Looks like i'll be bottling and brewing on saturday.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #104
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

FWIW, my brew with the Wyeast Private Collection Flanders Golden Ale went pretty slowly but that may be due to the timing of the sugar additions. I started adding 1# per day after only maybe 30 hours of strong fermentation. I brewed it about 19 days ago and it's just now starting to clear.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 11-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #105
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'm thinking about going ahead and bottling this up soon so I can free up my carboys. Should I consider adding yeast to the bottling?

EDIT: Holy crap! I just took a gravity reading and it's down to 1.000! I made booze water. It was at 1.011 when I transferred to the secondary a month ago. And it tastes mighty boozy.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 11-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #106
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

Finally got the first 5 gallons of 10 brewed this weekend. Pitched a 4L starter of the Flanders Golden yeast. It was going like mad only a few hours in. My only hiccup was that I realized I was out of hop sacks. I tried straining through a metal mesh strainer, but it got clogged up quickly. I ended up with a lot more hop material in the fermenter than I would have liked. I'm going to start my sugar additions tomorrow, then try to get it off the trub for bulk aging.

Does anyone have a plan for bottling? I figure I'll learn from everyones mistakes since I'm a little behind. I want to bottle condition in Belgian/champagne bottles. Do you think the yeast will have enough oomph to give good carbonation at this high gravity and a few months aging? Would it be a better idea to try and bottle ~2 months in?

Old 11-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #107
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
I'm thinking about going ahead and bottling this up soon so I can free up my carboys. Should I consider adding yeast to the bottling?

EDIT: Holy crap! I just took a gravity reading and it's down to 1.000! I made booze water. It was at 1.011 when I transferred to the secondary a month ago. And it tastes mighty boozy.
I just kegged mine (brewed 10/11/09) and it was at 1.004. My FFT was 1.008 and it had no sugar but I only let it go for a few days. This yeast seems to just keep going and going.

I actually mashed high to try and prevent this but this yeast is a monster.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 11-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #108
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
Finally got the first 5 gallons of 10 brewed this weekend. Pitched a 4L starter of the Flanders Golden yeast. It was going like mad only a few hours in. My only hiccup was that I realized I was out of hop sacks. I tried straining through a metal mesh strainer, but it got clogged up quickly. I ended up with a lot more hop material in the fermenter than I would have liked. I'm going to start my sugar additions tomorrow, then try to get it off the trub for bulk aging.

Does anyone have a plan for bottling? I figure I'll learn from everyones mistakes since I'm a little behind. I want to bottle condition in Belgian/champagne bottles. Do you think the yeast will have enough oomph to give good carbonation at this high gravity and a few months aging? Would it be a better idea to try and bottle ~2 months in?
Just add some yeast at bottling... you don't need to use the primary yeast, a yeast like S-04 in the bottling bucket would work great. I plan to bottle all 10 gallons in Belgian bottles with corks in the spring using half a sachet of S-04 per 5 gallons. I'll be aiming for about 3.2 volumes of CO2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #109
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'll be making up a starter with the flanders golden ale yeast I saved and adding a bit at bottling to carb mine up. I'm afraid anything else wouldn't be able to handle the 13.3% ABV it's sitting at and that FGA yeast doesn't seem to quit.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 11-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #110
CaptYesterday
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
I'm planning on force carbing to 3 or 4 volumes, then setting the psi at 1 or 2 and dribbling into 22 oz bottles. Hopefully the bottles don't explode...

Quick Reply