The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Devil May Cry (10.10.10 Edition) - Official Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #91
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 7

well how did it taste!?

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #92
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
I'm thinking maybe I should hold it steady around 68, then after the last sugar addition raise it up to 75. I want a good amount of the pear character of duvel
That's what I'm doing. I didn't want to risk a second/third/fourth blowoff everytime I added sugar so I kept mine at 66 F for the first 3 days (Sunday/Mon/Tues...1# sugar on Mon and another on Tues) then let it creep up to 68 yesterday and added the last pound of sugar. I plan to let the whole waterbath slowly warm up to room temp over the next couple of days then let it sit there for at least 2 more weeks.

My FFT (which was just the original 1.076 wort, no sugar, same yeast) finished at 1.008 so it looks like it's pretty much on target.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-16-2009, 03:10 AM   #93
CaptYesterday
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
well how did it taste!?
Pears and some pineapple. I was kinda thrown off by it initially, but after the sugar additions the flavor has mellowed somewhat.

I've done triples before where I added the sugar during the boil and wound up with an overly alcoholic tasting beverage, so I decided to add the sugar during primary with this batch. Honestly, this beer is 12.3% ABV and I can't detect that when I drink the hydrometer sample. Any beer that I brew from now on that calls for sugar additions will receive said sugar after the krausen has fallen.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #94
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptYesterday View Post
Pears and some pineapple. I was kinda thrown off by it initially, but after the sugar additions the flavor has mellowed somewhat.

I've done triples before where I added the sugar during the boil and wound up with an overly alcoholic tasting beverage, so I decided to add the sugar during primary with this batch. Honestly, this beer is 12.3% ABV and I can't detect that when I drink the hydrometer sample. Any beer that I brew from now on that calls for sugar additions will receive said sugar after the krausen has fallen.
I still haven't brewed yet. My schedule is actually going to keep me from brewing until the first weekend of next month. If I read right, you let it get down to 1.030, then started the sugar additions? Not a big deal, I can get all of the details from you if you are going to be at the next meeting.

By the way, did you sign up for the BJPC study group?

Old 10-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #95
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Brewed mine on Friday night. Had my friend over and it was sort of a last minute thing. Should have prepared the night before, but I thought I had it all under control.

So I'm just getting it boiling and go to toss in my hops. I dump the 1 ounce of Galena in and... Did I mention I was only doing a half-batch? Yep, twice as many bittering hops. I scoop out what I could.

Oh well, it's going to sit a year, right?

Other than that, it went pretty well. I prefer brewing without my friend, because he is just distracting. If he would learn a bit about brewing, instead of just coming over to chat about random crap... Oh well, I do enjoy his company, just makes the brewing more difficult.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #96
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

While I welcome the cooler weather it required that I broke out the space heater just to keep the fermenter warm enough. Not a usual practice in Florida!

Interesting how we are adding the sugar differently (even post-boil). I wonder what difference it makes if you let the krausen fall before adding sugar (like CaptYesterday) or if you start adding it earlier in the fermentation (I added the first of three 1 lb additions on day 2, then day 3 and day 4)?

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #97
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I racked the second half off the trub to a secondary carboy yesterday so I could grab some of the yeast to pitch into Il Bastardo, a beer consisting of all the leftover wort from the brewfest at my house. I will be sure to save a 12oz for each of my tradees to try.

Waiting for the yeast to drop so I can take a gravity reading... I hate drinking yeasty samples! Judging by the lack of visible activity since pitching the Brett into the first half, the gravity must be super low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 10-21-2009, 03:31 AM   #98
C4PNJ4ZZ
Recipes 

Jesus... is the WL Golden Ale a fast fermenter? I brewed my Belgian pale saturday morning, pitched a decanted 1L starter around 4PM. My ferm closet is about 63F. I had active fermentation by 11pm. The krausen had already fallen by the time I got home from work yesterday. It's at a very slow bubble now. I moved it to a warmer room today to make sure it dries out ok.

Much like Saccharomyces, I hate yeasty samples, so I'll have to wait to check the gravity to make sure I got a healthy fermentation.

Hopefully if all goes well I'll rack to secondary this weekend and brew up the GS.... what im calling "Before the Devil Knows You're Drunk"

Old 10-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #99
CaptYesterday
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
I still haven't brewed yet. My schedule is actually going to keep me from brewing until the first weekend of next month. If I read right, you let it get down to 1.030, then started the sugar additions? Not a big deal, I can get all of the details from you if you are going to be at the next meeting.
Yes, the gravity was down to 1.030 before I started adding sugar. I had planned on adding it after high krausen (while there was still some krausen) but by the time I got home from work on day 4 of fermentation the krausen was completely gone but the yeast were obviously still active. Even after the krausen fell, the top of the beer in the carboy was effervescing like crazy.

After that I started adding 1 lb sugar dissolved in 1 pint water every 24-36 hrs.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #100
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Bah. I forgot about adding the sugar. I did that yesterday and noted the gravity was 1.010. I put the 1.5 lbs (1/2 batch) in and it took off immediately! There was no delay between the CO2 coming out of solution and the start of the sugar fermentation.

On a less positive note: I tasted the sample and it was not only mediciney and hot, but very harshly bitter. I'm debating on whether to brew up another 1/2 Batch and combine in the secondary, or just dump and pitch another batch on the cake, or just let it sit in the secondary for many months...

Well, the Pale that I made at the brewday for a yeast cake seems to taste pretty good. Kegged that yesterday and was pretty pleased with the results for lack of planning and scrambling for ingredients.

Quick Reply