The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Defoamer 105 question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
gruversm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Defoamer 105 question

I've added Defoamer to my boiling wort to prevent boilover. Should I also add it to the fermenter as well?

On Tap:
Horehound Tripel,Gumballhead,Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Hefeweizen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have never used it in the fermenter. If you are short on headspace, you probably could although I have no idea how effective it is. Depending on what yeast, how much headspace, temperatures, you may or may not need it. If you are really worried about it, use a blowoff.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
hexmonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruversm View Post
I've added Defoamer to my boiling wort to prevent boilover. Should I also add it to the fermenter as well?
My bottle of Fermcap-S says to use it in the fermenter, I think 1 drop per gallon.

I've only used it on one batch so far, in the starter and again in the boil. The starter didn't seem to foam up at all, only a very thin layer of bubbles at best, but the yeast was certainly growing.

Also worked great during the boil though I'm not sure if it carried through to the fermenter. It looked like it made the standard 2-inch krausen head in the carboy, nothing I wouldn't expect for a 1.054 O.G.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It does work in the fermenter, but you may have to reapply it from time to time, which puts you above the recommended dosage. I have had a couple of blowoffs even after using it, but it usually does a decent job. I suspect Fermcap-S would be a better choice.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Quick Reply