Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Deep Red IPA - Recipe Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 01:18 AM   #11
kingwood-kid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I made a DIPA with just under 5% Special B, going from 1.076 to 1.015. It's reddish-brown, and quite tasty, but the maltiness has it edging towards barleywine territory (full disclosure:most of my beers contain no crystal malts). If you want malt complexity but not a great deal of sweetness, you might try adding in 1 or 2 non-crystal specialty malts, such as Victory/biscuit, brown, melanoidin, etc...

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

DylanTO Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:22 AM   #12
DylanTO
Recipes 

Likes Given: 36

@kingwood-kid
Very interesting, do you have a favourite/go-to recipe that you'd recommend to try this idea out?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 AM   #13
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't have any go-to recipes, as I almost never brew a recipe more than once. Bobbrews can give you some general percentages for your grain bill, especially if you are very specific about what you want. If you view the HBT malt wiki http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart and this guide to making your own specialty malts http://barleypopmaker.info/2009/12/0...ng-your-malts/ you can get an idea of what flavors you can get.

Most big IPAs have a lot of residual sugars (going from 1.080 to 1.010 is very different from going from 1.045 to 1.010), so in my opinion, they don't really need crystal malts unless they add a specific flavor you want, such as honey, caramel raisin, etc... If you want to add body without necessarily adding sweetness, you can raise your mash temp or use rye, wheat or oats.

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

DylanTO Likes This 

Quick Reply