Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Death by Peated Malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #1
DirtyMick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Death by Peated Malt

Greetings to all,

I was really hoping to be enjoying a nice malty Scottish Ale in January 2008, but after a month and a half of fermenting, kegging and conditioning I have discovered that my beer has been tainted with a "Reek".
I am guessing the peated malt is responsible. Talk about being dissappointed... The beer is beautiful, great head retention perfect color, but the nose is of Band-Aids and it has a funky phenolic taste that I cannot tolerate. Here is the recipe:
6 lbs Pauls Mild Ale Malt
10 lbs Maris Otter Malt
0.5 lbs CaraPils
2.0 lbs Crystal
2.0 lbs Honey Malt
0.06 lbs (1 ounce) Simpsons PEATED Malt
0.06 lbs (1 ounce) Roasted Barley

1 oz Kent Goldings for last 60 mins

Single mash infusion @ 158 to 164 DegF

Boiled 6.5 gallons down to ~5 gallons in 120 mins.

My OG was a bit low for all the Grain ~1.090, I used Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale Yeast to ferment it down to ~1.021 in about a month @ ~65 to 70 DegF.
I tasted the beer before kegging and the phenolic taste was noticeable, the nose was not bad however. Now after two week of aging I can't stand the stuff. All I can focus in on is the phenolic medicinal taste and the band-aid / anbesol nose that is completely overwhelming.
Is there any hope for salvage?
I was warned about Peated Malt but had no idea how potent its affects could be.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
I am curious if the yeast has any blame in this. Anyone had a bad experience with Wyeast 1728? Could the highish fermentation temp cause this?

I am thinking of brewing the same recipe, MINUS the Peated Malt and probable changing over to an English or American Ale yeast, any suggestions or tweaks for the recipe?
Thanks in advance,
DirtyMick

On Deck: Autumn Goat Weizenbock
Drinking: Biere de Mars
Drinking: Independence IPA
Drinking: Scottish Strong Ale
Drinking: Spiced Apple Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

It doesn't sound like the peated malt, sorry to disappoint. That would be an overpowering bacon taste. I'm not good at infections yet, I've been lucky enough to not have one....yet.

Bandaid + phenolic = ?

You didn't mention, but at 1.090, this is a Strong Scotch Ale, right? Perhaps let it age for another month, minimum, to see if the funk subsides? After all, 1.090 to 1.020 is a pretty powerful beer, our 080808 RIS was 1.088 and most people are aging it 7-8 months..... Just a thought.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 01-09-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Did you sanitize with Bleach? Star-san? Iodophor? Something else?

Quote:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

Middle of the page on off flavors -

Medicinal
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 01-09-2008, 01:04 AM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Band-aids phenolics are usually an infection, unfortunately...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:06 AM   #5
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I made a scotch ale with 3 oz of peated malt and has nothing close to bad flavour.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:09 AM   #6
DirtyMick
Recipes 

I used Iodophor to sanitize the carboy used for the primary, and One Step to sanitize the Keg. But I noticed the Reek before kegging...

Old 01-09-2008, 03:30 AM   #7
DirtyMick
Recipes 

I suspected the Peated Malt after reading
The Home Brewer's Answer Book by Ashton Lewis
He describes phenolic flavor profiles coming from either the yeast or a contamination of wild yeast, peat smoked or heavily roasted malts, or from chlorine contamination from either bleach residue or tap water...
I don't use tap water in brewing and stopped using bleach a few years ago.
The beer did not look unusual during fermentation, and I was surprised at how healthy the fermentation was. The only unusual thing I can think of was that I noticed after I had racked off the primary there was a layer in the yeast cake that looked unusually dark almost charcoal like. It was a very thin layer almost right in the middle of the yeast cake (the total sediment thickness in the bottom of the carboy was ~1.5" thick).
Maybe I got some funky yeast strain???

Old 01-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Could be wild yeast or the high temperature. I'd give it 3-4 months. If the problem is the peat, it should start mellowing by then. [Although, it doesn't sound like the peat to me either.] My first batch of Old Bog Water used 8 ounces of peat and was undrinkable for the first year, ok the second, and now at 5 years, right tasty.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

One single ounce of peated shouldn't cause that. Other suspect ingredients are 2 lbs of Honey Malt (too much, but shouldn't cause medicinal or phenolic characteristics) or the Mild Ale Malt (never used it, can't speak for its integrity).

Never used 1728, so I can't help much there, but their info doesn't make me suspect it, except perhaps for the high temperature, as David said.

Quote:
Ideally suited for Scottish-style ales, and high-gravity ales of all types. Can be estery with warm fermentation temperatures.

Origin:
Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 69-73%
Temperature Range: 55-75° F (13-24° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 12% ABV
I agree that it sounds like an infection, but also that it shouldn't hurt to let it age for a bit and see if it improves.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #10
Pabst Blue Robot

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Two pounds of honey malt in a 5 gallon batch produces a flavor which, to me, tastes very strongly of tannins.

Quick Reply