Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Daywalker(ginger) wit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
Grizzant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Daywalker(ginger) wit

I decided to be lazy and create a ginger wheat beer, so I started from an extract kit. Northern Brewers Witbier (http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...act-kit-2.html).

I modified it by addition.
In a separate pot I gathered 2 gallons of water. I brought it to boil and added 2lbs of pureed ginger root, in a mesh bag. I let this steep for 1 hour.

Concurrently I was breweing the witbier.

At the end of the boil for the witbier, I added the ginger water to the pot. I cooled this, and let it ferment in the primary for 2 weeks.

When I transferred it to the secondary I added 1 cup of finely chopped ginger root. During the transfer I pulled some for tasting, and it had a good background ginger flavor, but none of the heat. I am hopping to get the heat in with the late addition ginger.

I plan to keg it next week.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzant View Post
I decided to be lazy and create a ginger wheat beer, so I started from an extract kit. Northern Brewers Witbier (http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...act-kit-2.html).

I modified it by addition.
In a separate pot I gathered 2 gallons of water. I brought it to boil and added 2lbs of pureed ginger root, in a mesh bag. I let this steep for 1 hour.

Concurrently I was breweing the witbier.

At the end of the boil for the witbier, I added the ginger water to the pot. I cooled this, and let it ferment in the primary for 2 weeks.

When I transferred it to the secondary I added 1 cup of finely chopped ginger root. During the transfer I pulled some for tasting, and it had a good background ginger flavor, but none of the heat. I am hopping to get the heat in with the late addition ginger.

I plan to keg it next week.

Thoughts?

I would Slice about 2 oz of ginger very thin and dry it in the oven on the lowest setting, and then use the dried ginger in secondary before you plan to keg it, dried ginger has a stronger flavor and i think may give it the kick your looking for.

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Grizzant
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance71975 View Post
I would Slice about 2 oz of ginger very thin and dry it in the oven on the lowest setting, and then use the dried ginger in secondary before you plan to keg it, dried ginger has a stronger flavor and i think may give it the kick your looking for.
I currently have chopped ginger in the secondary. What about using powdered ginger? Have you tried that.

Have you ever had blenheim ginger ale? (http://www.blenheimgingerale.com/) I am going for something slightly less powerful than that, but of course, actual ale.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzant View Post
I currently have chopped ginger in the secondary. What about using powdered ginger? Have you tried that.

Have you ever had blenheim ginger ale? (http://www.blenheimgingerale.com/) I am going for something slightly less powerful than that, but of course, actual ale.
Never had that one, if your gonna get per packaged ginger i would use crystallized ginger instead of powdered you could end up with a gritty mouth feel from the powder.

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Quick Reply