Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Recipes/Ingredients (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/)
-   -   Dark Mild (maybe sort of?) (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/dark-mild-maybe-sort-118472/)

dzlater 05-10-2009 08:26 PM

Dark Mild (maybe sort of?)
 
Does this seem right?

Dark Mild (maybe sort of?)

5 lbs halcyon
1/2 lb dark crystal simpsons uk
1/2 extra dark simpsons uk
1/2 lb british chocolate
1 oz EKG 5% @ 60 mins.
WL English ale WL002

jkarp 05-10-2009 11:41 PM

Did you notice this year's SS Minnow Mild recipe for Big Brew Day? It's a GABF award winner and damn tasty. I brewed up a double batch and handed 'em out at work for National Homebrew Day last Thursday.

dzlater 05-11-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkarp (Post 1314230)
Did you notice this year's SS Minnow Mild recipe for Big Brew Day? It's a GABF award winner and damn tasty. I brewed up a double batch and handed 'em out at work for National Homebrew Day last Thursday.

That looks like a tasty recipe.
I did a drunk order off the internet and that's what I ordered.:drunk:
So I am probably going to brew it. Unless some one tells me that it's going to taste like ass.

niquejim 05-11-2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzlater (Post 1314273)
That looks like a tasty recipe.
I did a drunk order off the internet and that's what I ordered.:drunk:
So I am probably going to brew it. Unless some one tells me that it's going to taste like ass.

You have too much non base malt IMHO, and it will taste like a$$ if you don't cut back a little


I could be wrong, but I doubt it

dzlater 05-11-2009 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niquejim (Post 1314303)
You have too much non base malt IMHO, and it will taste like a$$ if you don't cut back a little


I could be wrong, but I doubt it

How much and which ones?

niquejim 05-11-2009 12:48 AM

I would cut them all back some to no more than 15% of the total. Use the other recipe as a guide

ChrisKennedy 05-11-2009 12:54 AM

You may want to take a look at that recipe yourself.

It has 20% specialty malts, and only 2oz less total specialty grains than his original recipe.

david_42 05-11-2009 02:24 PM

A bit heavy on the dark grains for even a Dark Mild. Call it a Chocolate Brown.

dzlater 05-11-2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david_42 (Post 1315101)
A bit heavy on the dark grains for even a Dark Mild. Call it a Chocolate Brown.

I'll call it anything as long as it tastes good
Extra Dark Mild, chocolate brown, a little to much crystal mild
I ****ed up my order mild, this isn't really to style mild
I was trying to get close to JZ's recipe
it has over 20% specialty malts
A ProMash Recipe - The Jamil Show - Dark Mild
The Jamil Show - Dark Mild
A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
10-A Brown Ale, Mild

Min OG: 1.030 Max OG: 1.038
Min IBU: 10 Max IBU: 20
Min Clr: 10 Max Clr: 25 Color in SRM, Lovibond


Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 6.75
Anticipated OG: 1.035 Plato: 8.75
Anticipated SRM: 20.0
Anticipated IBU: 17.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes


Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Extract SRM
74.1 5.00 lbs. Pale Malt Halcyon Great Britain 1.027 3
7.4 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt - Light Great Britain 1.002 200
7.4 0.50 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.002 120
11.1 0.75 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.004 60

Exract represented as SG.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.70 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.00 17.2 60 min


Yeast
White Labs WLP002 English Ale


Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 6.75
Water Qts: 8.77 Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 2.19 Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.30 Before Additional Infusions

Rest Temp Time
Saccharification Rest: 154 60 Min
Mash-out Rest: 168 10 Min
Sparge: 170 60 Min

Total Mash Volume Gal: 2.75 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.



Generated with ProMash Brewing Software


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:36 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.