New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dark Lord Clone - help with recipe/technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq View Post
Thats the one I used! I hit 1.029 FG so its a pretty close. I was worried with the high mash temp I did and a lot of the flaked stuff I'd end up with a FG that was too massive. I hope to be sampling it in about 2 weeks!
Sounds great! When mine finishes up we'll have to arrange a trade. I know it will take a long time to age out with such a high alcohol percentage.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
saq
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Sounds great! When mine finishes up we'll have to arrange a trade. I know it will take a long time to age out with such a high alcohol percentage.
This is not really true, its more about the recipe than anything else. Dark Lord isn't very old when Three Floyds releases it on DLD and yet it is fantastic. Westvleteren considers their beer "done" and ready for serving when it is a mere 11 weeks old. Granted they both do improve with age, but its a subtle thing and not a dramatic thing.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:26 AM   #13
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
This is not really true, its more about the recipe than anything else. Dark Lord isn't very old when Three Floyds releases it on DLD and yet it is fantastic. Westvleteren considers their beer "done" and ready for serving when it is a mere 11 weeks old. Granted they both do improve with age, but its a subtle thing and not a dramatic thing.
I had a sample of the '08 vintage at DLD '09 and I also had '09. It was not a subtle thing, '08 was a knock your socks off beer, '09 was good, but the flavors were not melded, everything just seemed sharp and not complimenting each other.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 07-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #14
FailureDrill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I scaled this down to 3.5 gallons. With a gravity this high, would it be overpitching to pitch this on to a US-05 cake from a strong dark american ale I just made?

Old 07-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #15
saq
Recipes 

I don't think you need to worry about overpitching with this kind of beer, you are going to need every yeast cell you can get!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I agree with saq, especially since we are not looking to get any yeast character. I think US-05 should work pretty well for this.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #17
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FailureDrill View Post
I scaled this down to 3.5 gallons. With a gravity this high, would it be overpitching to pitch this on to a US-05 cake from a strong dark american ale I just made?
Just as a heads up, I'm reducing the amount of roasted barley for the next brew of this. Mine is still aging and is not carbed yet but I think it may be too much in the current recipe. Take a look at Saq's recipe for some inspiration as well

Old 07-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #18
saq
Recipes 

How's your take coming? I'm enjoying some of mine from the keg right now. I've got a bottle of DL09 that I'm going to open up in about 3 weeks next to a bomber of my take and do a comparison.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #19
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
How's your take coming? I'm enjoying some of mine from the keg right now. I've got a bottle of DL09 that I'm going to open up in about 3 weeks next to a bomber of my take and do a comparison.
It is still in the carboy. I drew a sample the other day and I'm just under 1.040 so not as attenuated as I would like, but not too bad of attenuation considering the OG. (65% apparent attenuation) I'm thinking of using either the high gravity yeast mentioned here, or a US-05 cake next time.

I think I have some fusel alchol issues, the fermentation was upper 70's for the first 4-5 hours before it got dropped down (Forgot to put the temp probe on the carboy, so it just sat in a non-running fermentation chamber...) I also used my CFC that only got the wort down to 80 before it hit the carboy. Definitely things I'm doing right on my next version of this. I hope it will age out to be tasty, but I'm worried it wont.

Last edited by conpewter; 07-22-2009 at 03:29 PM.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #20
saq
Recipes 

I'm going to try and reculture some yeast from my bottle of DL09. I think they have a particular strain that is highly alch resistant and attenuates to about 77%. The imperial blend I used was TOO attenuative, it actually brought it in line with the viscosity and mouthfeel of a "normal" RIS.

Quick Reply