Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dark Honey or Light Honey for More Honey Flavor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 02:49 AM   #1
NigeltheBold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dark Honey or Light Honey for More Honey Flavor?

I've heard a rumor that if you want more of a honey flavor in your beer (using actual honey, not honey malt), the thing to do is use darker honey instead of lighter honey. Does anybody know if darker honey brings out the honey flavor in the final beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
Toy4Rick
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've read that honey will make your beer dry but not impart much flavor.

Let's see what others have to say

Toy4Rick

Old 10-27-2011, 05:51 AM   #3
DannPM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Commercial examples of honey ales have all been short on the honey flavor imo. They were very good and extremely drinkable but I had trouble picking up the honey notes.

I think they are very different flavors, dark and light honey, iirc. I would add at the very last moment possible. Maybe during whirlpool chill? The aromatics are some of the most delicate you'll ever work with, doesn't take a lot to destroy them during normal brewing processes.

Time to have some fun

Old 10-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
DannPM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Your best bet is to buy both, sample, mix if needed, perfect your preference, and then brew.

It's an art, recipe design is all about balance, knowing the raw ingredients will help more than anything.

Time to have some fun

Old 10-27-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
VaBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've had the best luck with Honey going in at flame out. I mostly use wildflower honey, but have used Clover and Orange Blossom. I have even just added the honey to the secondary as well.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
bjl110
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That is a pretty big generalization. It is really about how pungent (or not) the honey is. Using commercial honey, I'd say this is usually true. However, if you used local raw honey, the variation can be pretty random. Some of the lightest (color wise) local honey I've ever had was also the most flavorful and aromatic. This is all pre-fermentation though. Maybe there is something about fermentation that holds characteristics of dark honey better, but id be surprised of that were the case.

Thinking About: Oak Aged Stout, BDSA
Oh Lisa, you and your stories. Bart is a vampire, beer kills braincells. Now let's all go back to that ...building...thingy...where our beds and TV...is. - Homer

Old 10-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
Teacher
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've had MUCH more success in retaining honey flavor by adding it after "primary" fermentation has ended. I make a honey porter with two pounds of honey added this way, and everybody who tries it can definitely pick up on the honey. I don't use honey malt in this recipe, by the way, though I've toyed with the idea of adding it as well.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
I've had MUCH more success in retaining honey flavor by adding it after "primary" fermentation has ended. I make a honey porter with two pounds of honey added this way, and everybody who tries it can definitely pick up on the honey. I don't use honey malt in this recipe, by the way, though I've toyed with the idea of adding it as well.
Teacher, do you simply dump the 2 lbs. of honey into the "secondary" then? Do you do anything to the honey before adding, such as warming it up so it is much thinner? I just never thought that the beer would pick up the honey flavor by simply adding to the secondary. I've never tried it though.

Thanks

Old 10-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
NigeltheBold
Recipes 

I'm debating between adding it at flameout or adding it in secondary...

Old 10-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
BrewMU
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
Hey, Teacher
Does fermentation kick back up when you put it in? Can the honey somehow be used to carbonate? I'm a newby brewer, but I'm already thinking about using honey at some point.
You think a sorachi ace-honey Kolsch would be any good? Maybe it's stupid, but I was thinking that the lemon-honey connection might be good. I'll probably do it without the honey first.

Quick Reply