Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dark Candi syrup in my dubbel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2009, 04:33 AM   #1
Dr. Fedwell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dark Candi syrup in my dubbel

Brewed my dark Belgian ale over two months ago. A dubbel with some turbinado sugar added at the end of the boil. Initial gravity 1.079. I wanted to make a candi syrup edition before I move to a secondary for the next 6 months. Should I pitch more yeast? The same kind? Safeale 33 Also, do I need to boil the Dark Candi Syrup in water, or can I sanitize the bag and pour it in? Any advice? I wanted to move to secondary at least a few weeks ago, but delivery was way slow on this syrup.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2009, 03:18 AM   #2
Dr. Fedwell
Recipes 

Wow, 42 views and no advice yet. Did I ask too many questions?

Old 11-23-2009, 04:01 AM   #3
phasedweasel
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

You said sanitize the bag - is this commercial dark candi syrup? When I made my own, the process was bringing sugar / corn syrup to a simmer, so boiling was part of the creation anyway. I would bring the syrup to a simmer to sanitize even if it's commercial, it won't harm the syrup and it buys peace of mind.

However, I would say much higher than 1.080 OG is getting too high for the "style" of Belgian dubbel, you're entering Belgian dark strong ale territory.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:47 AM   #4
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Sanitize the portion of the bag that you cut open. The syrup is sanitary already. Don't add more yeast, should be fine. But, Safale 33 isn't really a Belgian strain - would be interesting to hear how your flavor profile turns out.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:59 AM   #5
Dr. Fedwell
Recipes 

Yah, I know that it will be beyond a dubbel, I guess the words strong dark ale didn't come to mind. I am thinking of gouden carolous and some very strong beers I once had. As far as the yeast, B3 markets this yeast as having the typical Belgian phenolics. I am experimenting with different dried yeasts, as liquid yeast has been temporarily abandoned for various reasons (mostly living in Hawaii). I guess next time I should just get some from a bottle I like and culture it.

Quick Reply