The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Daisy Cutter Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #11
Oldsock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I found this: Five varieties, counting Warrior, Columbus, Centennial, Simcoe and Amarillo.

5.2 percent ABV, 60 IBUs

http://www.slashfood.com/2010/09/14/...r-of-the-week/

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #12
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
If anything I've found that pellets are grassier than whole hops. Since pellets are broken up they have more chlorophyll exposed to the wort (which I suspect is the source of that grassiness). It also may just be a bigger hop bill, and fresh beer than other pale ales.
Thought I read somewhere that whole hops tend to have a grassy flavor in beer. I just searched this site and it seems if you dry hop for a longer period (over 2 weeks) you can geta grassy flavor from any hop. So I guess just use whatever hop you want and dry hop it for a couple weeks

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Old 02-23-2011, 02:29 AM   #13
m750
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I also heard that if you first wort your hops, which for extract, doesn't meant too much, but I guess starting with them in your pot with your steeping grains maybe?
Another note, that I saw is that the brewery uses a lot of Marris Otter grain, not sure what specifically that is, sorry, I'm still green.
AO

Old 02-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
Oldsock
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricT View Post
Thought I read somewhere that whole hops tend to have a grassy flavor in beer. I just searched this site and it seems if you dry hop for a longer period (over 2 weeks) you can geta grassy flavor from any hop. So I guess just use whatever hop you want and dry hop it for a couple weeks
I routinely leave whole hops bagged in kegs for a couple months without my beers getting grassy. It may be that the lower temps prevent the issue, but I suspect that it is that they are whole hops.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #15
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4576 Times on 4482 Posts
Likes Given: 1967

Grassiness can come from leaving dry hops in for longer than the usual 7-10 days.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #16
amingo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

2 weeks it is then! Thanks for the info everyone!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #17
Oldsock
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
Grassiness can come from leaving dry hops in for longer than the usual 7-10 days.
Have you ever had this happen, or are you just repeating something you read? If you had it happen what was the situation, how many ounces of hops, whole or pellet, what sort of beer, what was the temperature?

Old 02-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #18
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't buy the whole blanket grassiness argument. It hasn't been my experience at all.

_

Old 02-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #19
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4576 Times on 4482 Posts
Likes Given: 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Have you ever had this happen, or are you just repeating something you read? If you had it happen what was the situation, how many ounces of hops, whole or pellet, what sort of beer, what was the temperature?
I had it happen on a Chinook IPA that was using pellet hops. around 1.5-2 oz hops in a 5 gal batch. This was a long time ago though on a kit and I left it for close to a month when I got busy. Was still drinkable, but the grassy notes took over the beer compared to the usual pine & citrus Chinook gives. I honestly haven't left it for more than 14 days since that time, so that's my only data point.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #20
Oldsock
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I had it happen on a Chinook IPA that was using pellet hops. around 1.5-2 oz hops in a 5 gal batch. This was a long time ago though on a kit and I left it for close to a month when I got busy. Was still drinkable, but the grassy notes took over the beer compared to the usual pine & citrus Chinook gives. I honestly haven't left it for more than 14 days since that time, so that's my only data point.
It seems like it is always pellet hops that cause the problem, so that is the hypothesis I'm sticking to.

Quick Reply