Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Culturing Wild Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
Nomad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Culturing Wild Yeast

A buddy of mine has been doing sourdough, and thought he'd try a similar process to get the critters off of grain husks. Anyone done this and gotten a real strain of yeast? I've heard that you can make a sour mash this way, but would that ferment out to make something drinkable??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

Probably not. Wild yeast works with cider, because apple juice only has simple sugars. Breweries that talk about using wild yeast typically have been in business long enough that their business is saturated with a few strains.

If he decides to go forward, I would recommend making a batch of wort, splitting it into pint-sized quantities and then adding a little un-mashed grain to each.

Oh, and tell him to keep it away from the sourdough starter.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-30-2009, 02:10 AM   #3
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

I dont think there has been much success in culturing localized wild strains. I've heard of some poeple trying to spontaneously ferment without much effort. The biggest problem is being consistent. The yeast present in Belgium breweries are completely different from what might be floating around your house.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts

I've had some great success with wild yeasts captured off of organic fruits (apples and peaches so far), but I have fermented through then washed them a few times, and have only used 'em for ciders so far. Although I have wanted to make a "Belgian Dirty Blonde" with the best wild strain I've got.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 01-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
Nomad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Good points, all. I think the question taps into the DIY nature of a homebrewer-- this yeast had to come from somewhere, so why can't I do it, dammit?

The fruit skins and yeast-washing regimen sounds the best, or better than one posting about the fact that bird droppings contain wild yeast...

Old 01-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've been meaning for some time to boil up some DME into about a 1.040 wort, and then pour it into several sanitized mason jars. Cap them then take them around to several locations, open them up, and let them sit for a day. Then bring them back home and see if they ferment. If so, I might be able to use the yeast in a beer. I imagine you could capture some of the essence or character of a location by harvesting the yeast present in the area. For instance, I imagine yeast captured in a meadow would give floral, perhaps grassy aromas. Yeast from deep in the woods my lend an earthy, woody character. Yeast from a farm or barn might be kind of funky and yeast from an orchard fruity. I'm not sure how well this theory will hold up, but it would be fun to try.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 01-30-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
I've been meaning for some time to boil up some DME into about a 1.040 wort, and then pour it into several sanitized mason jars. Cap them then take them around to several locations, open them up, and let them sit for a day. Then bring them back home and see if they ferment. If so, I might be able to use the yeast in a beer. I imagine you could capture some of the essence or character of a location by harvesting the yeast present in the area. For instance, I imagine yeast captured in a meadow would give floral, perhaps grassy aromas. Yeast from deep in the woods my lend an earthy, woody character. Yeast from a farm or barn might be kind of funky and yeast from an orchard fruity. I'm not sure how well this theory will hold up, but it would be fun to try.
If you did this it might be worthwhile to culture the collected yeast on plates so you can select single colonies to try in another batch.

Quick Reply