New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > CT brewers - where do you buy bulk grain? Group buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3474 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah58 View Post
I have to dig out the paperwork but it's like $35-$40 a bag from North Country Malt.
What is the minimum number of sacks needed to qualify for a group buy? I assume you need some sort of business address for delivery, also.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #12
bhs668
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

On North Country it states it's $75 for a pallet to New England states with a pallet being up to 42 bags. Obviously the more sacks the better the savings.
My guess it would have to be a business location to be able to unload a pallet. Although if it ended up at a hub they may allow you to show up with a truck and just unload the pallet.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 862 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The minimum is whatever you want, but it's got to be delivered on a pallet via freight. It will probably cost something like $90 for the shipping. With that, the threshold to make it worth it is something like 12 sacks. Any less than that and you might as well pay $60 a sack at the LHBS. You can pay a $75 premium for a truck with a lift gate for a residential delivery.

Also, if you can be sure you'll have like 4 guys around at the time of delivery, you might want to take a chance at a hand unload where you cut the pallet open right on the truck and toss the bags down quickly. It carries a little risk though because the last bill of lading I signed off on said "driver: collect $125 if hand unload". Now, I'm not much of a gambling man but I'd say throwing the driver a $20 would make him forget all about it.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Last edited by Bobby_M; 11-16-2009 at 01:11 PM.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
rnrchemnerd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm in for at least 3 sacks if and when someone gets this started. I'm up in Boston, but have family in the New Haven area that can pick up for me. Lemme know!

Old 11-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #15
chucknut
Recipes 

I live in CT and i order from North Country Malt. I just called them for a 55# sack of 2 row is $27.01 and to ship it to the Litchfield hills area where i am from it $22.39. For a grand total of $49.40. That is $.90 a pound. No LHBS is going to be able to come close to that. Also their prices on the website are not correct. A group buy would be more of a savings but if you cannot get one together the price is not that bad for a sack.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #16
bhs668
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You got that price of $27 on one bag? I just called and got quoted the price on the web site of $35.89 for Canada 2 row pale ale.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:13 PM   #17
chucknut
Recipes 

Yup i did... I bought one about a month ago and it was about the same price... few cents different.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #18
Pickngrin
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wow, $27! What brand of 2-row was it?

Old 11-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #19
bhs668
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well he apparently got the new girl in the office or something. The woman I spoke with when I called back said they only offer that price to commercial breweries or groups that do buys. "That's it," I was told. Buying just one or so bags it's $35.89.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #20
Pickngrin
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wanted to revisit this group buy idea, as I am near the bottom of my existing bag (which lasted too long...I need to do something about that!). Is anyone interested in pursuing this now? I don't have a suitable place to receive the order, but would be willing to organize this if someone gives me some pointers...

thanks

Quick Reply