Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Crystal Pellet hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
MattHollingsworth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindguardian View Post
Your are right and thanks but I already know of all them places but I am looking for bulk 1+ lbs and most of them only carry oz sizes and at the most 1/2 lb.
Are you looking for a price break or something? What's stopping you from just ordering 3 (or more) of the half pound bags? If you're not using them quickly, keeping the other pellets in a still sealed bag will make them last longer.

I doubt you're going to find Crystal pellets in bulk unless Hops Direct gets them. It's somewhat difficult to even find Crystal pellets at all. They're not as popular as their sister Mt Hood.

That Chico place has *11* pound bags if you really want bulk. Hunch aside, maybe you should consider them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Blindguardian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You have a point MattHollingsworth. So my next question would be what would be the closest hop (substitute) for Crystal hops?

Old 04-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindguardian View Post
You have a point MattHollingsworth. So my next question would be what would be the closest hop (substitute) for Crystal hops?
Genetically, they're a Hallertauer Triploid, like Liberty and Mt. Hood. But they don't taste like those hops to me. Crystal has a nice little citrus kick to it that those others don't IMHO. If it's for a hoppy beer, I wouldn't sub Crystal if you're looking for the same flavor. Guessing you're matching a recipe? I suppose if you MUST sub it, for a hoppy beer, I'd use Mt Hood, for a softer beer, I'd use Liberty. But that's just my opinion. And I haven't used Mt Hood or Liberty in a while.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #14
Blindguardian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well it is not for a hoppy beer it is for this recipe here. I am planning on brewing allot of this to last me the summer and I am just trying to stock up in preparation for the batches.

I guess I will just order from Chicompany.com and get the 1/2 lb of crystal, that should give me at lease 8 batches.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #15
rnrchemnerd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ummnnn, that recipe calls for only a single 60 minute hop addition (1/2 willamette, 1/2 crystal). No offense to BM, but you can use just about any mild flavored hop with the same effect. At 60 minutes, you're only getting the bitterness, all of the flavor and aroma has boiled off by the end. Don't beat yourself up trying to find crystal pellets, because it won't matter in the end. My advice is to just use willamette and make sure you adjust the amount to give the right amount of IBU's.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #16
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

+1 what rnrchemnerd said. For a 60 minute addition you don't need to agonize at all. You won't be getting much if any hop flavor from that addition.

Quick Reply