Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Critique my recipe....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #21
stagstout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

avibayer,
Thanks for the input, I wonder if the F.G. of 1.024 is due to the high amount of Roasted/Chocolate etc.

Just thought I would post the recipe that I ended up brewing, it sort've morphed from the original...not by much though

8 lbs of M.O.
1 lb of Vienna
1 lb of Roasted Barley
1 lb of Chocolate (bumbed the addition by 1/2 lb, Matt Up North conned me into this one )
1/2 lb of 60L (had extra on hand vs buying 40L)

1 oz of Fuggles 4.7% @ 60 min
1/2 oz of Fuggles 4.7% @ 45 min
1/2 oz of Fuggles 4.7% @ 30 min

Hops were changed from Willamette to Fuggles for the mere fact that they were a bit cheaper @ the LHBS (between the two there isn't much difference)

Irish Ale yeast w/ starter

Single infusion @ 154 for 60 min.

After hearing you describe yours, I can't wait to pour my first pint.

When sampling the hydro reading after the boil, I have to say it tasted quite good and balanced.

Patience is a B!tch right now...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #22
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I drink one batch at a time, based on my brewing schedule, and the timing of my life (class, work, etc). So, last night i went to a party on campus with a two six packs of the stout, and my ambitious friend was giving them to any cute girl he could find. After i was able to find a nook to hide the remaining from him, and other party goers who would take any alcohol they could find, i began to wander the party. Bumped into a girl i have a huge crush on, but that is more for the rants and ramblings section.

the cute girls my friend gave the beers to said they loved it (the stout) and that they normally dont like beer. while this may have been them flirting, or just their first introduction to real beer (not macroswill), i have to say i agree with them completely. So this long ramble is to cheers your recipe, and tell you how much i enjoy the batch. My friend who was giving out the beers, also a homebrewer, said he thinks its my best yet. I am getting all around complements.

cheers stagstout

Old 10-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #23
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A quick side not. when i brew this again, i will try and reduce the amount of priming sugar i use. while i have been hearing that the carbonation is fine, i feel that a stout should be a bit calmer. The pound of roasted worked well, and i might increase the amount of chocolate to a pound also.

ever try brewing a pepper chocolate stout? i had a real tasty chocolate habenero stout from the roots brewery in portland oregon. super tasty.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #24
stagstout
Recipes 

Hearing about the college party brings me back to some good times. If I only knew about homebrew back then

Thats awesome that you brought some to the party and it was a big hit, especially with the ladies.

So how much priming sugar did you use, I was thinking about 4.5 oz for my batch. I agree with stout needing to be on the calmer side.

Curious as to how long its been in the bottle, I always figure 8 to 12 weeks for a bigger stout. If this ages quickly as it seems to be (with your stout) thats just great.

Cheers and thanks for all your feedback. I will have to fill you in once I start drinking mine. I did however smell my primary (two week mark) and it smells great, huge roasty aroma.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #25
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I used 5 oz. I am a sucker who has yet to go buy a big bag of sugar, and still just add the 5 oz bags to my orders. I feel the 5 was too much, but have no sense if 4.5 is right or not. I'm still a beginner brewer.

Mine have been in the bottle for 13 days now, there about. I would have to double check, but i'm pretty sure its been 7 weeks since first brewed. I think i needs another five for its true character to develop. But, like i mentioned above, i love the way it tastes after 7.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #26
stagstout
Recipes 

Well I took a gravity reading last night and its at 1.020. The sample tasted awesome, exactly what I was looking for, roasty and very balanced. This was my first beer to drink the entire sample, I could drink it as is

Lets just say I have high hopes for this one. On a side note, I think I will mash a little lower for the next batch (152) to get the FG around 1.016 or so, since there is 2 lbs of roasted in this recipe.

I will be bottling this Fri and hopefully drinking some great stout in about 2 months.

Cheers

Old 10-09-2009, 04:28 AM   #27
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Rumor has it that Stagstout's batch is bottled and apparently early tasting has returned a "It's pretty good beer" comment.

..and it should get better with age. Hope I get a taste.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:24 AM   #28
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think i am gonna brew this again, but up the chocolate to 1 lbs. just tasted a chocolate stout and loved it, and want more in my own beer. and maybe add spice?

Old 10-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #29
stagstout
Recipes 

What spice were you thinking of using? I wonder how orange peel would taste? Just bottled mine on Friday, now its the waiting game

Old 10-14-2009, 01:14 AM   #30
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

habenero or jalepeno.

Quick Reply