The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Critique my recipe....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
mithion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You know, the more I'm starring at your recipe, the more I think you should try it as is. You got Maris Otter, you got vienna malt, you got crystal and some chocolate malt. I think you got a lot of malty nutty caramelly sweetness and it might just balance out with the roasted barley. I say give it a shot. And if it doesn't turn out right.... well just send the leftovers to me

Primary:
Secondary: Chimay Tripel #1
Conditioning: The Day After Christmas Eve Old Ale, Phil's Classic English #2
Drinking: Irish Rebellion
Next Beer: Earthly Brown

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good call, I too will dispose of said beer. And on the alcohol note, I just mention that I go for a slightly less because it is my experience with my tastes that the higher the alcohol in a stout gives me a little less roasty flavor. I found after making four seperate but similar batches that right around 5% is the key for me (4.6% on my last and 5.2% on the one before).

I really like 002, S-04 yeast for stout too as it doesn't attenuate as low and keeps some of the mouthfeel. Stouts to me taste best between 1.012-1.018. That high side, is about as sweet as I can stand it though. More American Stout than Dry Stout style.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #13
stagstout
Recipes 

Sirs,
After the debate over the roasted malt, I will brew this batch per the original recipe. Only thing I am going to change...thanks to Matt Up North is the S.G.
I will bumb down the M.O. to 8 lbs instead of 9 lbs.

I don't plan on brewing this until August sometime and then I will bottle condition for an additional two months.

Keep a look out in 3 months or so...I hope to be describing an excellent beer.

Cheers

Old 07-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

*pssst, add another half pound of chocolate. Just this once. You will like it.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #15
stagstout
Recipes 

ok...........

Old 09-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #16
stagstout
Recipes 

Just a heads up, I will be brewing this recipe this weekend. Looking forward to it.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:48 AM   #17
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Stagstout, I brewed your recipe (original 9lb) on Aug 8th, with an OG of 1.062, transferred it to the conditioner after a month in the fermenter, three weeks in the conditioner, then bottled. FG 1.024. They have only been in the bottle for a week, but i got impatient and tried one. I really enjoyed it. I am not good at tasting the subtle flavors and describing different aspects of the beer, but i know that i liked it. a lot. can not wait to taste it in another week. then in another month.

My beers tend to get better after being in the bottle for a month or two (who would have thought...). So i think this recipe will go from good to great. especially as the cold weather starts coming into the new york area, the stout is gonna be the perfect thing to have after a long day of class/work or maybe great with eggs and breakfast.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #18
stagstout
Recipes 

Wow,
I'm flattered that you tried it. I still have mine in the primary (only a week now) with a SG of 1.060. This was with 8lbs of M.O.

I ended up using 1 oz of Fuggles @ 60, 1/2 oz @ 45 & 1/2oz @30.

This is about all I can tell you right now since I have not touched it since brew day.

So at 1.024 did you mash at 154 or so? How does the roastyness taste? Keep me posted as I am excited to see how this progresses.

Cheers

Old 09-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #19
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, i did a single infusion at 154, thereabouts. My friend says i'm in the stone age using a meat thermometer instead of his fancy digital one. (his got wet and broke the other day.) so i think it was 154. what i tried for anyway.

used the whole pound of roasted, and truth be told, it is a well balanced taste. very smooth. but i could not really smell it and thought is was almost a little boring since i could not distinguish distinctive flavors. i think. as i wrote above, i'm still learning to taste beer, beyond the "i like this. this is hoppy. i don't like that." i have a primitive palate. And it has only been about 6 weeks, so i'm guessing it will mature. I dont trust my own evaluation, so neither should you.

but, based on the one warm, impulsive, and impatient bottle i had to try, i think i am going to love this batch.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:43 PM   #20
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Roasted + Choc. Malt is a VERY good pair IMO. I personally would use 1/2lb of each. They blended really well in Jamil's Moose Drool clone i brewed a while back.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Quick Reply