The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Critique My First Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
TheJasonT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

image-2908071688.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
nicklepickles
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJasonT
Had my first "UH OH SPAGHETTIOS" moment while brewing this batch. Ended up doing almost a full partial mash. Here's how brew day went:

*sanitize everything"

Two gallons of cold water in the brew kettle.

Put all the grains in a muslin bag. Only did about 4oz of rice hulls. Maybe two solid handfuls.

Heated up the water to that magical 113-122 range. Did a "protein rest" for about fifteen minutes.

Heated the water up to the next range, anywhere between 150 and 168. Did my mashing then, with constant smushing and beating the bag. This step took about 35 minutes.

I then rinsed/sparged the grains with a gallon of cold water and let it drain into the kettle.

Heated to a boil and added roughly three pounds of NB Gold Extract. I wasn't exact on this one. Also added 1/2oz of Columbus hops (13.0%).

Boiled for 45 minutes, then at fifteen minutes I added 1.5tsp of Irish Moss, another 1/2oz of Columbus, and the remainder of the 6lb bottle of extract. Maybe around 3.5lb.

At five minutes, I added 1oz of Cascade pellets, then another ounce at 1min/flameout.

Cooled the wort down to 70 degrees while adding another 2.5 gallons of water. I poured the wort through a strainer lined with my remaining muslin bags and brought the total up to a smidgen over 5 gallons.

Took an OG reading at this point... And this was the "uh-oh" moment... I hit 1.072 as my OG. IBrewMaster says my efficiency was 196%. Gotta love that.

I pitched my yeast, Safale US-05, here. I rehydrated it in about 1.5 cups of pre-boiled water that I cooled to 100 degrees and added a teaspoon of extract to. I got a good hydration with a lot of bubbles. Poured that in and sealed her up.

I'm just amazed that my OG was so high. I think it's because I actually mashed my grains instead of just steeping them.

However, I hit one of my goals... In the hydrometer tube, the beer was extremely clear. Lots of sediment on the bottoms but it was very clear at the top.

Anyways, do I have anything to worry about or did I simply make a Extra-Strong Pale Ale/IPA by accident? Thanks!
Itll be a good bit sweeter then you were expecting, as you did indeed mash the 2 row and vienna, giving you a good bit more fermentables. Id be worried about it being too sweet, but you might be able to dryhop the hell out of it to counteract that, perhaps.
Also, why did you do a protein rest with your steeping grains? Usually for steeping, you just keep it around 150 for 20 to 30 mins (though with just steeping 2 row youll get starch haze, and cloudy beer in the end).

Old 11-26-2012, 04:02 AM   #13
TheJasonT
Recipes 

As far as the protein rest, I was reading in the Complete Joy Of Homebrewing earlier in the day that it was a good step to include. I decided to give it a shot and see what happens. I had intended on doing the mash step in the first place but this ended up being a happy unplanned step.

I think I'm going to call this one "Happy Accident Pale Ale" if it comes out tasting good.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
TheJasonT
Recipes 

Dry hopped this beer this week. I ran out of my first batch so I'm upping the schedule. Instead of 21 days in primary, I went with 11 days and before racking to secondary.

I lost quite a bit when transferring, I lost the siphon right at the bottom and kept getting a lot of trub mixing in and couldn't restart it. So my batch size is significantly smaller...

Anyways, on to the beer pr0n!!!

Hydrometer sample at 7 days:
image-1539548587.jpg

The FG:

image-1301114457.jpg

Dry hopping:

image-3019982054.jpg

image-2106415188.jpg

image-2814848621.jpg

Old 12-31-2012, 01:57 AM   #15
TheJasonT
Recipes 

This one turned out quite good. Sweeter than I wanted, but crisp and clean. A nice golden color, somewhat clear but not translucent, very light bitterness but lots of citrusy flavor from the Amarillo dryhop. 7.8% ABV, so it'll put you on your ass pretty fast. Thanks for the help, ladies and germs! I'm stuck in the hobby now! I have one of the members Honey Orange Wheat in the fermenter now and will be making an Imperial IPA next weekend with my first yeast starter. (1.092, 9.5%, I kinda needed the starter.)

I'm addicted to this hobby now! THANK YOU!!

Old 12-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #16
NeighborsBrewingCo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

First off, great job making a beer you like.

I just read your brew day post and wanted to mention that you don't want to smash/press or otherwise squeeze the grain as you can release tannin (harsh) off-flavors. Your range for your mash between 150 and 168 is quite large too. You have the two kind of ends of the spectrum. Mashing lower (around 150) will keep that lighter body.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:46 AM   #17
TheJasonT
Recipes 

Thanks!

This beer was one of those that I wanted to experiment with a lot of things. I think I experimented too much. Between the high OG, the sweetness, the under-carbonation, and the mashing the bag, I learned a lot about my process and now I have three good all-grain batches in my fermenters (one of mine and two of my buddies).

I now understand the meaning of discipline in this hobby. A relatively disciplined brew day makes for a good beer. Yet, as always, RDWHAHB.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:57 AM   #18
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

dunno why you even used rice hulls, those are only used to help lauter and add nothing at all to the beer

Kegged empty

Old 12-31-2012, 04:58 AM   #19
TheJasonT
Recipes 

Yup...I learned that one after I used 'em, lol.

*facepalm*

Old 12-31-2012, 04:58 AM   #20
TheJasonT
Recipes 

image-1161792293.jpg

Quick Reply