Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Critique this IPA - Trying new yeast.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
fiveohmike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Critique this IPA - Trying new yeast.

Hey Guys,

So on top of everything else I am brewing I am about to make this on the weekend. This is the first time venturing away form WLP001 (although not by much) but I heard that WLP090 is a bit cleaner/crisper for bringing out hops...so here goes :

9lbs Ultralight Malt
.5lb Light DME

8oz Crystal 15L
4oz Crystal 40L

1oz Magnum @ 60min
1oz Columbus @ 15min
1oz Columbus @ 1min
1oz Citra @ 1min
1oz Centennial @ 1min

Dry hop:
3oz Falconers Flight @ 7 days
1oz Falconers Flight @ 3days
1oz Cascade @ 3days

YEAST: WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast.

Estimated OG: 1.072
Estimated ABV: %7.4

What say you? Or is their another yeast that I can experiment with for this IPA

Just switched to AG brewing:

First up: Pliny clone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
Falcon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Looks pretty darned good to me- I like 090. Not sure you'll notice much difference from 001 though. WLP007 is another really good yeast- made my best APA with it a few weeks ago.

Hop schedule looks good too- I'll be interested to see how the dank Columbus matches up with the Citra and Centennial. I made an all Citra/Amarillo IPA a few weeks ago, and it's almost too fruity- it could use some dankness to balance it out.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
fiveohmike
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
Looks pretty darned good to me- I like 090. Not sure you'll notice much difference from 001 though. WLP007 is another really good yeast- made my best APA with it a few weeks ago.

Hop schedule looks good too- I'll be interested to see how the dank Columbus matches up with the Citra and Centennial. I made an all Citra/Amarillo IPA a few weeks ago, and it's almost too fruity- it could use some dankness to balance it out.

Hey Falcon,

An IPA I made two batches ago was all Citra/Amarillo...and I had the same issue...almost too fruity. That led me to do a bit more research and go with some columbus to help out, then popping FF's on top (and a touch of Cascade...well because I am from the left coast).

Can't wait!

PS Ill look into WLP007

Just switched to AG brewing:

First up: Pliny clone.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
RonPopeil
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yeah if you want a curveball try some of the english strains. WLP007 is pretty versatile. I used it as my house strain last year. This year I'm trying WLP002 but i still have some Bond if I need attenuation. I've also been playing with WLP009 (Aus Ale) and I'm not a fan. There's a strange tart flavor in the finish that doesn't sit well for me.

Pipeline:

Paterbiersbier (pils, special roast, caravienne, strisselspalt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Homebrewing as a way to save money is like getting married as a way to always have sex.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
plustroy63
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have really grown fond of Wyeast 1968 London ESB. First it is a carb munching beast! Second it is super flocculant and leaves the beer very clear. I can barely get the yeast cake to move when I tip the fermentor on its side. It is not as dry as chico strain but I like a bit of that malty flavor to stand up to all the hops. In addition it is a bit fruity/estery which I feel pairs well with fruity citrusy hops.

Quick Reply