Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Crisp Brown Malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
ISUBrew79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Crisp Brown Malt

I am planning to make a northern English brown ale soon. I have about 5 pounds of Crisp brown malt that I got for free. I'd like to use some of this brown malt in my brown ale. Does anyone have an idea what proportion of brown malt can be used in a recipe, and what flavors it might contribute to the beer?

Bottled: Imperial Pumpkin Ale, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

On Tap:
Keg 1: Belgian Table Beer
Keg 2: Belgian Tripel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Found a bit googlin' around:

Quote:
I had a Porter that a friend brewed that was supposed to be a historical version of an 1800's style porter. His recipe was 1/2 pale malt 1/2 brown malt. I tasted it and thought he had used some chocolate malt, but it wasn't as bitter. It was a really nice brew. Smooth roasty chocolatey goodness, yum.
Quote:
At one time, I suppose this would have been the default malt for making a roasty stout (or stout-porter, or porter, or whatever it was called in that era).

I have used brown malt as part of a recipe inspired by Radical Brewing. It used something like 4#s of brown malt in a 5 gallon batch to supply roastiness. If you are using flaked barley in your dry stout (which is common), don't look to the brown malt to help you convert.

Just off the top of my head, I would guess that you might start with something like 20% flaked barley, 40% brown malt, 40% pale. Try something. You might need to tweak it to get the right texture and roastiness.
Quote:
Crisp Brown Malt. 60-70° L. Made from green malt. Imparts a dark roasted flavor and bitterness to beer. Works great in older styles of English ales such as brown ales and mild stouts and porters.
I would say it will contribute a milder version of a roasty/nutty flavor (like a paler pale chocolate malt) and that you should be fine using anywhere from 10%-40%.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 10-14-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3186 Times on 3089 Posts
Likes Given: 178

I do know that Jamil Z's Brown Porter recipe uses brown malt. Very good information on the Brewing Styles podcast.

I've gotta stop listening to that show. I end up salivating for odd, one off specialty grains and adding to the "I gotta do this one next!" list.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used 6 oz in my first porter, 4 oz in my Fuller's London Porter clone.

Super stuff! I also used 6oz in a Rye-PA, with 2-row, 40L crystal and rye malt. Yummy! It seems to be a nice mild nutty flavor.

The amount to use would depend on other grains you are using...

Quick Reply