Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cream Belgian Wit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
jackson_d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Cream Belgian Wit?

anyone? is 2# flaked corn too much? browsing the recipe section I notcied the cream ales use 2# for 5gal. a friend of mine thinks it might be a bit much. never used it before so want to give it a try. my place is hot too, so I need a yeast that can handle 75deg. i know amarillo isnt traditional, but i wanted a few more IBU with a single hop addition. maybe a little citrusy flavor too? more than sazz anyways..

Belgian Cream Wit
Brewed 8/8/09

5# Two Row
4# Wheat
1# Crystal 10L

2# Flaked Corn?

1oz Amarillo 8.5% pellet @ 90

60 min mash @ 154-156
90 min boil

Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit

OG≈ 1.067
FG≈ 1.017
IBU 32
SRM 5
ABV 6.5%

Fermenting: 12g Elevated Line California Lager
Kegged: Elevated Line Toast IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Elevated Line Blonde, Elevated Line Christmas Molasses Porter
On Deck: Death by Dunkel, Mango Lambic?, Barleywine, Wheat, Cali Lager, Pilsner, Honey Porter, etc., etc...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I guess it all depends what you are trying to accomplish. In this case with a considerably higher OG than a "standard" wit, the corn will help to keep the beer light and drinkable (to further this I would probably lower the mash temp a couple degrees). The Amarillo for bittering should be fine. Adding any spices?

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
jackson_d
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks for the reply. i followed the recipe exactly. except for that i was exactly drunk enuff while brewing to decide 'f*ck it' and throw in an ounce of 14.4% magnum at 90 instead of the amarillo. beersmith says 54 IBU. what was i thinking? the wort tasted 'creamy' and....well..... really bitter. duh. i do love me some bitter but with the Wit yeast and the cream, it will either be delicious.... or an abomination.... just another reason to try not to be totally wasted before done boiling....

Fermenting: 12g Elevated Line California Lager
Kegged: Elevated Line Toast IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Elevated Line Blonde, Elevated Line Christmas Molasses Porter
On Deck: Death by Dunkel, Mango Lambic?, Barleywine, Wheat, Cali Lager, Pilsner, Honey Porter, etc., etc...

Old 08-11-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
Chester
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

my rule is: "no recipe changes after the second beer!" I do like the idea of a cream wit though.

Quick Reply