Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cream ale boil to bottle time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
vulcan7864
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cream ale boil to bottle time?

I was hoping to do a quick, Partial Mash, bottle carbonated beer to have drinkable for this summer... hopefully mid-June? I would love to do a Cream Ale. Any thoughts on recipes? is it reasonable to hope for that? Am i just out of my mind thinking i can have a drinkable cream ale that soon, or should i do something different?

Any help would be awesome!! Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
smurfwar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed up a cream ale tonight. Im patient so will be first week of july but yeah it could be done for june.

Looking for an extract black belgian witt recipe.
PM me if you find one. Thx

Old 05-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
vulcan7864
Recipes 

If you don't mind sharing, what was your recipe? Ive never done a cream, and I feel like trying something new. and creams are nice and summery

Old 05-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
smurfwar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan7864
If you don't mind sharing, what was your recipe? Ive never done a cream, and I feel like trying something new. and creams are nice and summery
Sorry forgot to mention extract Northern brewer kit. Added orange peel 5 min before flameout and will be adding more at secondary.

Looking for an extract black belgian witt recipe.
PM me if you find one. Thx

Old 05-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 173

2-3 weeks in primary should be enough then 2-3 weeks bottle conditioning. So 4-6 weeks from brewday.

A cream ale is a pretty simple recipe in terms of the need for the ingredients to "come of age" timing. So longer aging is not really necessary.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
bob1006
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

If you made one next weekend you could be drinking it on June 16 at the earliest. That's two weeks fermentation and two in the bottle.

Go to NB and check out the cream ale. Click the additional information tab and there is a button for the recipe. It tells you what's in the box. Go from there. I just looked at it, seems like a good recipe. Also, the recipe section of this site is awesome.
Most cream ales are the same recipe wise, a few tweeks here and there, but mostly similar. Do a little research on what a cream ale is, style guidelines, history ect ect...then build a recipe from there. BJCP.Org is where you can find the guidelines for it, and every other beer.

Good luck!

Old 05-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Jettanbass9
Recipes 

A lot of variables with change your timing.... do you have refrigeration? what yeast strain would you plan to use? what ABV and gravity would you be shooting for? Extract or all grain (for the recipe)?

If you brew all grain, try something like this with 2row, flaked maize and corn sugar. Liberty or Mount Hood to bitter and a touch for flavor. Your pick of a super clean ale yeast... if you have a refrigerator to ferment in choose a yeast that can do its work around 60-62F. Ferment cool, D rest, then cold crash/lager for a week or so.

Most times when I brew my cream ale its in a keg in two weeks. Pitch a lot of yeast to limit ester production and ensure a quick ferment (especially at cooler temps). Technically speaking, this style took a while for me to nail down. But every attempt has been tasty and didn't last long.

Quick Reply