LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
Math0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Cream ale

My next batch is going to be a 5ga cream ale. I am also looking forward to try it adding strawberries to the mix. My question is: Should I add strawberries (not an extract) directly to the boil, or to the secondary, and what is the difference between the two? I also wonder the good quantity to pitch in and how to sanitize them if I put them in the secondary.

This is going to be my first cream ale so if anyone have good ideas about what to add in the mix (mostly looking to add in the secondary) please help! I will probably divide the initial 5ga into 5x 1gallon jugs for secondary or even 10X 1/2ga jugs.

Thanks you guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
kenlenard
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'm terrible at making fruit beers so I have gone to gourmet extracts to get around it. If you want to use real fruit, I would make the cream ale, ferment it and then add the berries to secondary. I would freeze the berries, thaw them and then blend them (or crush them) and add them to the secondary. You could put the berries in a bag with some vodka to attempt to sterilize them or heat them on the stove to 170° or so, then cool and add. You want to add them to secondary so you can preserve their flavor which will get zapped by the heat of the kettle and then further scrubbed out by the activity in primary. But adding then to secondary is going to kick up another fermentation because of the sugars in the fruit. This is not a bad thing but in my experience this has dried out the beer terribly so you might consider mashing the cream ale high (155+) so that there is some residual sweetness left behind. It's a tough balancing act and in 15 years of brewing I have tried everything. Good extracts is how I go now. Good luck.

Visit my homebrewing site. Information on kegging, all-grain, lagering, water characteristics, new brewers, recipes and more at Mayfair Court Brewhouse

Old 09-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Math0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks a lot for the respond. I was actually still asking myself thesd questions. I still prefer real fruits over extracts... Ill try it then see by myself

Quick Reply