The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Crazy Zymurgy Doppelboch recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Crazy Zymurgy Doppelboch recipe

The recipe isn't all that crazy, but the mashing is. I will make this, and don't mind following the mash schedule, but is there any benefit to doing so? I'm always up for improving beer any way possible.

Ingredients
9.5lb Munich type1 ( i'm assuming this is just plain old munich)
5.5lb Munich type2 (again assuming munich 10l)
.75lb caramunich
1.5oz Hallertauer or Tett @60min
.75oz Hallertauer or Tett@ 20min.
Wyeast2124 Bohemian Lager or 2308 Munich Lager

Now for the odd mash schedule
dough in 4gal @100f for 1 hour. Infuse with one gallon near boiling water every 15 minutes (6additions total) stirring thoroughly after every addition.

Mash out @172f, slowly runoff sparging as necessary to collect 8 gallons.
Boil hard for 2 hours adding bittering hops @ 60min before end of boil and flavoring hops 20min before end of boil.

Chill, rack, aerate, pitch yeast, ferment, lager, blah, blah.

Any special reason for the super infused mash schedule, or just do a normal single infusion???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Dos_Locos_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nah, with modern malts, you're probably doing more harm than good with a 100F rest. Also, it seems pretty screwy to add prescribed amounts of hot water every so often rather than targeting conversion temperature(s).

Old 10-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos_Locos_Brewery View Post
Nah, with modern malts, you're probably doing more harm than good with a 100F rest. Also, it seems pretty screwy to add prescribed amounts of hot water every so often rather than targeting conversion temperature(s).
I tend to agree, but perhaps someone like Kaiser will see this and have some valuable input.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Did they give any reason for the mash schedule, like trying to make a more-fermentable wort or anything?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

100 F is a beta glucanase rest. I'm not aware of any systematic decrease in beta glucans over time in malt and beta glucans levels are certainly not a function of protein modification.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
wildwest450
Recipes 

Ok i'm an ass, they do give an explanation for the schedule. I guess I should have thoroughly read the article.

"Because high gravity bocks need huge grain bills, allowing the grain bed to hydrate for about an hour or more, after a very thick dough-in at a temperature of around 100f, will greatly enhance both extract efficiency and lautering speed as well as the finished brew's malt flavor."

" A simple way of raising the mash temp to the mashout temp of 172f (with sufficient time for all beta-glucan, protein and sugar rests- is to infuse with near boiling water every 15 minutes.) "

Then it says to boil for 2 hours to promote the maillard reaction.

Is the Munich type 1 just regular old Munich malt?

Last edited by wildwest450; 10-27-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Is the Munich type 1 just regular old Munich malt?
Weyermann's website is horribly confusing and most easily navigated by Google.

According to this page Munich I is 12-15 EBC which is about 6L, Munich II is 20 EBC which is what I would refer to as plain ol' Munich. Vienna is probably a better sub for type I if you don't have a source for Weyermann malts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 10-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts

I think this is just a fancied up mash schedule. The points made about the large grists and poor conversion of the resulting thick mashes are valid and this schedule can boost your efficiency. But so would crushing finer or decoction. Slowly ramping up the temperature is also beneficial for enzymatic weaker grists, although this grist has plenty of Munich I which converts pretty well on its own.

I recommend giving this a try if you are interested.

Weyermann Munich I is what is commonly called Light Munich while Munich II is Dark Munich.

Kai

Old 10-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
wildwest450
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
I think this is just a fancied up mash schedule. The points made about the large grists and poor conversion of the resulting thick mashes are valid and this schedule can boost your efficiency. But so would crushing finer or decoction. Slowly ramping up the temperature is also beneficial for enzymatic weaker grists, although this grist has plenty of Munich I which converts pretty well on its own.

I recommend giving this a try if you are interested.

Weyermann Munich I is what is commonly called Light Munich while Munich II is Dark Munich.

Kai
Thank you Kai, I certainly will try this mash schedule. It will add 2.5 hours to the brew day, but I love brewing anyways.

And I appreciate the clarification on the munich, most homebrew sites aren't to specific with their munich malt listings.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Remember, Doppelbocks are traditionally decoction mashed. This schedule won't really replicate that, but it will give you the multi-step temps you would get from decoction. The long boil would help give you the carmelization you'd miss from not doing the decoction.

Quick Reply