Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > crazy first time recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
CHillRoomBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default crazy first time recipe?

a few weeks ago i bought a 1 pound bag of cascade hops so i could dry hop a BB kit IPA. i only used 1 oz of the hops at the time. but i didnt think about proper storage, i thought i could get ahold of a vacuum sealer, but was wrong so i stuffed the remaining hops into two gallon size zip bags and threw it in the freezer, i knew this wouldnt keep fresh long so i then decided to use the entire 15oz of remaning hops in my very first own recipe. i am a chef, so i decided that i could just go into my local brew store and just kinda grab some random grain, extract, and make my brew my way. which is exactly how i learned to cook. i admit, though, that i do not have a firm grasp on much of the math involved, the guy at the store assured me that the grains and extract i grabbed would result in at least a 9% abv beer, which i thought would be necessary for such a hoppy beer. after talking to him and deciding that i would put the vast majority of the hops near the end as well as 2oz dryhopping in order to keep the bitterness down. but after i brewed the beer i decided to download beersmith 2 and plug in the numbers. now maybe i dont know how to use it, but it says im looking at a 5% beer with 103 IBU. here is the recipe i created, i fully understand that it may be offensive to some of you, but im trying to get predictions on what you all think i may come up with in three weeks when this thing hits the keggerator, cause this is for fun, and if i have to choke down some nasty beer once in a while, then at least i learned something in the process. im just gonna list the ingredients as they appear on the packages, i dont know what a lovibond is, but ill write it down for you.
2 packets of dry ale yeast
1lb belgian pilsen malt, lovibond 1.5
1lb victory 6row lovibond 25
1lb pale ale malt lovibond 1.25
1lb plain white DME
3.3lb light LME
1lb maltodextrin
15oz Cascade Hops
4tbl clover honey

all the grain was steeped at 155 f for 20 minutes.
the extracts and maltodextrin were added at the same time as soon as the boil started rolling.
hop additions were as follows:
2.5oz, 10 minutes
1.5oz, 10 minutes
1oz, 10 minutes
1oz, 1 minute
0.1oz per minute for 20 minutes, 2oz total (honey added on last minute)
wait 6 minutes
2oz, 2 minutes
3oz, 1 minute
terminate boil
the final 2oz will be dryhopped for the last week in the secondary.

it took me 1 hour and 3 minutes to get the wort to 90 degrees f. i re hydrated the yeast per packet directions and added both packets. bubbling started in 34 hours or so. the og was 0.053.

Thanks for taking the time to check this out for me and letting me know what you think.

Reason: clarifying time reference

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 219 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 144

First, I like your attitude! And I'm stoked to hear how this puppy turns out.

Lovibond is a measure of color from roast, the lower the number the lighter the color. This has a huge impact on flavor.

I didn't plug it into my program, but I would imagine it'll be higher than 5% ABV

Old 03-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
CHillRoomBrew
Recipes 

good deal man, thanks for the feedback!

Old 03-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
CHillRoomBrew
Recipes 

heres a picture. i have a spoonfull in the top of the pic. its crazy thick.

hop-soup.jpg  

Old 03-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Whew! Maybe use a colander to get most of those hops out before transferring to fermentation vessel?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
CHillRoomBrew
Recipes 

yeah, i used my big mesh strainer. i let it drip as much as i could, but should i have pressed the liquid out of the hops? i only ended up with one and a half gallons of wort. but i figured if i pressed the liquid, then it would cause bitterness. is that the case?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
CHillRoomBrew
Recipes 

after a little research, i decided to add a 5oz priming sugar and 2tbl more honey to my primary today to give the double yeast something to chew on, it seems like a small amount but only time will tell. the aroma of the beer is quite wonderful when i had the top off and the color is perfect, it was bitter though so i figured a bit more sugar couldnt hurt eaither way.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #8
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Only 1.5 gallons... for a 5 gallon batch? Hmm. I would have pressed some wort outta the hops, but that's just me.

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #9
mxpx5678
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHillRoomBrew
yeah, i used my big mesh strainer. i let it drip as much as i could, but should i have pressed the liquid out of the hops? i only ended up with one and a half gallons of wort. but i figured if i pressed the liquid, then it would cause bitterness. is that the case?
1.5 gallons?? Something def went wrong. How much water did you start with? What was your process in detail?

Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
CHillRoomBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpx5678 View Post
1.5 gallons?? Something def went wrong. How much water did you start with? What was your process in detail?
i stared with 3 gallons water. i did not think about the fresh hops sucking up all that water. in detail, ill get back to that later when i have more time.

Quick Reply