Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cranberry Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008, 04:30 AM   #11
Bearcat Brewmeister
Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_wilkosz View Post
I am an extract brewer wondering if anyone has a good Cranberry Beer recipe!

Thanks! Trying to find something the SWMBO would like that is not a regular beer

I looked in the threads and didnt find much info and was wondering if anyone could help me out here
I posted something a while back that had traces from my memory of a Cranberry beer recipe I made that turned out nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaBonger View Post
Would you crush/puree the whole cranberries or drop in whole? I'm contemplating a Cranberry Kolsch and am stuck on how/when to introduce the cranberries... I'm also wondering if some sort of sweetening agent needs to be introduced as cranberries arent really all that sweet on their own...
I think the flavor is pretty minimal, so I pureed to increase the contact area. Also add either in secondary (after heating pureed cranberries to 160F for a bit to kill the bugs) or after shutoff and wort has cooled below 180F or so(don't want to make jellied cranberries in your wort). I think sweetening is a mistake - I believe the tartness/acidity you taste from cranberries is the main flavor they contribute and adding sugar will neutralize that, leaving little or no contribution from the fruit. I would personally add cranberries to a beer that would benefit from tartness yet is clean enough on its own that you will pick up the subtle flavor of cranberries, which is how I came up with a Cranberry Belgian Wit.
Primary:
--
Next Up: ?
Projects: Brutus Strut-stand (Done), Freezer Conversion (Done), HERMS (Done), Lager Fermentation Mini-fridge Extension (Done)
Drinking: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Fuller's 1845, New Glarus Moon Man, Tröegs Troegenator

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #12
martyboi68
Recipes 

Default cranberry beer

Ive made a cranberry ale every xmas for the past 5 years and ive found that darker stronger ales are better than lighter beers, it seems to give a dry flavor to a strong sweetish recipe and the beer is much improved by it, the beer i make is based on 12 pounds pale malt, 6 oz choc malt 3/4 pound crystal malt, 1/2 pound of amber malt, 4 0z hops fuggles, 4ltrs cranberry juice, 2lb dark sugar, i normaly keg my brew but this i bottle in 1 pint bottles, needs about 2-3 months in the bottle, this is for 5 galls and if a good infusion is made you should end up with an O.G of 1065, the first cranberry ale i made was a bout 1085 but found this to strong.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Mat416
Recipes 

Default Cranberry Beer in "Beer Making Book"

I did a cranberry wheat out of the Brooklyn BeerShop's Beer Making Book. I used frozen Cranberries and I doubled them for the recipe. It was a hit at my last party so you should search that out if you are still interested.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I recently had Harpoon's seasonal cranberry ale. They put a slight but obvious cranberry taste on top of clean, sweet amber ale. It was definitely good for cranberry ale. It balances the cran tartness with sweet amber.

Last year I brewed a fall/winter pomegranate on wheat ale, and it was good after I let the bitterness die down for a couple of months (from the excessive white rind). But with cranberries this year, which are not very sweet to begin with, I'm searching for a better answer. Probably more to do with cran prep than with brewing tricks.

Quick Reply