Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Recipes/Ingredients (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/)
-   -   Corn Sugar Vs. Cane Sugar For Priming (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/corn-sugar-vs-cane-sugar-priming-35114/)

5gBrewer 07-30-2007 02:06 AM

Corn Sugar Vs. Cane Sugar For Priming
 
Is there any significant difference between these two sugars when using as a priming sugar?

Yuri_Rage 07-30-2007 02:13 AM

A highly debated topic...

Most will tell you not to use cane sugar because of the potential for off flavors (cider-ish). I say try it for yourself to prove or disprove the speculation (most of us haven't actually done a true comparison).

5gBrewer 07-30-2007 01:16 PM

For real, I felt a little retarded even asking the question. I had just run out of my real stash of priming sugar, and said, "Hey. This is a white sugar; lets try it!" A cidery flavor or aroma might actually be a nice thing on this beer. It's my 2nd Apricot IPA. I just hope that it doesn't ruin it, because the uncarbonated aged beer was fantastic before bottling. We'll see!

But isn't BROWN SUGAR just unrefined CANE SUGAR?

5gB

jbford 07-30-2007 01:23 PM

5 oz of cane sugar in 5 gal of beer---No way will it add a cidery flavor. If you're doing an extract brew u won't be able to taste anything over that molasses "twang" from the LME anyway!

Castawayales 07-30-2007 03:45 PM

But isn't BROWN SUGAR just unrefined CANE SUGAR?

It is my understanding that most brown sugar formulations are table sugar with molasses mixed in.

Demarara (sp) is unrefined or under refined cane sugar.

Barry

Evan! 07-30-2007 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castawayales
But isn't BROWN SUGAR just unrefined CANE SUGAR?

It is my understanding that most brown sugar formulations are table sugar with molasses mixed in.

Demarara (sp) is unrefined or under refined cane sugar.

Barry

Pretty much right. And beneath demerara is sucanat, which is pure, unf*cked-with, cane sugar.

5gBrewer 07-30-2007 08:01 PM

And TABLE SUGAR is CANE SUGAR?

brewt00l 07-30-2007 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5gBrewer
And TABLE SUGAR is CANE SUGAR?

not always...check the packaging

DeathBrewer 07-30-2007 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan!
Pretty much right. And beneath demerara is sucanat, which is pure, unf*cked-with, cane sugar.

sucanat...heh, how is that pronounced?

Homebrewtruth 05-20-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbford (Post 344685)
5 oz of cane sugar in 5 gal of beer---No way will it add a cidery flavor. If you're doing an extract brew u won't be able to taste anything over that molasses "twang" from the LME anyway!

In the same way that I don't think the Americans planned the attack on the twin towers, I don't believe in extract twang. There's only bad process and bad yeast.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:41 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.