Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Corn sugar to boost Imperial stout abv

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
austinb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Corn sugar to boost Imperial stout abv

Hi, I made a 5 gal recipe for an imperial stout that requires 15 pounds of grain. The problem is my water cooler mash/lauter tun is only 5 gals so even with a thick mash of 1qt water to 1lb grain it would be a very tight fit if it even did fit. I was thinking of using one pound less pale malt so that making it fit wouldn't be an issue and adding a little corn sugar to the boiling wort to boost the ABV to what it would have been with an extra pound of grain (about a half pound of corn sugar I think). I've never used corn sugar for anything other than priming before and I was just wondering if that little bit of corn sugar would noticeably affect the taste of my beer or if 1/2 pound (or maybe a pound if I want to make it a little stronger) is so little I wouldn't notice it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #2
chew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinb View Post
Hi, I made a 5 gal recipe for an imperial stout that requires 15 pounds of grain. The problem is my water cooler mash/lauter tun is only 5 gals so even with a thick mash of 1qt water to 1lb grain it would be a very tight fit if it even did fit. I was thinking of using one pound less pale malt so that making it fit wouldn't be an issue and adding a little corn sugar to the boiling wort to boost the ABV to what it would have been with an extra pound of grain (about a half pound of corn sugar I think). I've never used corn sugar for anything other than priming before and I was just wondering if that little bit of corn sugar would noticeably affect the taste of my beer or if 1/2 pound (or maybe a pound if I want to make it a little stronger) is so little I wouldn't notice it?
Go for it. It may thin or dry out your beer a touch, but depending on your recipe, this could be desirable. I suggest rather than corn sugar though, you use something with a little more character, like brown sugar. I did one recently that used about 7%, and the early results are good.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It will make your wort more fermentable and possibly finish dryer. No problems with doing that but personally I'd use malt extract to make up the difference if the SG is 1.080 or under (which you are) otherwise you'll end up with a thinner than desired body for the style.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I'd use extract rather than sugar for that. Any sugar will thin out the beer and to me an imperial stout needs a good, thick mouthfeel.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:39 AM   #5
austinb
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I thought about using malt extract but I don't have any on hand and I didn't want to have to go to the brew shop tomorrow as its about a half hour drive. It turns out I'll need to go anyway so I'll probably pick up some malt extract while I'm there. Its good to know that it will work in a pinch though.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:23 AM   #6
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Use table sugar. I occasionally use brown sugar, and 'think' it is different, but I'm not sure I can really tell. I use sugar in lighter beers.

The sugar will help reduce the FG a couple of points. Personally I like it dryer. Just don't over-do it. Keep sugar to 10% max of gravity points; thats 1 lb in a 1.090 beer for 5 gallons.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:30 AM   #7
PolishStout
Recipes 

hmm, how would molasses work in brewing?

Old 02-26-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Its just another form of a simple sugar that imparts a unique flavor. I don't recommend using Black Strap though. I wasn't happy with the outcome of using it. Haven't used regular molasses yet but a lot of commercial brews do.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #9
chew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostsr20 View Post
Its just another form of a simple sugar that imparts a unique flavor. I don't recommend using Black Strap though. I wasn't happy with the outcome of using it. Haven't used regular molasses yet but a lot of commercial brews do.
I've heard you can get some nasty bitter off flavors from the unfermentables when using molasses; was that your experience?

Old 02-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #10
dirty_martini
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Avoid blackstrap. It's really high in iron so it can leave a weird metallic note. Regular molasses is good but my understanding id it isnt that fermentable, which means it wont boost the gravity as much and will leave sone linger. Using table sugar is fine, but maybe using something with a little more character would be good. D2 candi syrup, maple syrup, turbinado, Demerara, etc.

Quick Reply