The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Corn Sugar for Belgian Strong Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
benko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Corn Sugar for Belgian Strong Ale

I've decided to brew Northern Brewers "The Number 8" kit. The fermentables are as follows:

* 10 lbs. Dingemans Pils
* 1.5 lbs. CaraMunich Malt
* 2 lb. Belgian Soft Candi Sugar (boil for 10 min.)
* 15 oz. Corn Sugar (boil for 10 min.)

Two questions. First, is the corn sugar that they're talking about the same simple powdery sugar that I use for priming? Second, other than the obvious alcohol boost, can I expect any flavor characteristics. The recipe was developed by Stan Hieronymous. Do you think he added the simple sugar just for an extra kick, or was there more behind it? Thanks for your thoughts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The corn sugar is the same as your priming sugar. Its in there to allow for a very dry finish since the sucrose will attenuate completely but honestly I am not sure why you would use corn sugar specifically (besides the no-off flavor aspect). You may want to consider simple table sugar for this application. You also might want to check out Jamil's podcast on Belgian Strong ales, its pretty cool for some tips:
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/jamil.php

Old 08-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
TheH2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would use corn sugar over table sugar, not sure why though. It is not based on any facts or experimentation, just don't think I'd want to put table sugar in there. Now maybe sugar cane, but then the price would be up there with corn sugar.
I guess the only benefit I'd see to table sugar is price, but a pound of corn sugar is 1.99? That's not too bad.

Quick Reply