Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Corn starch "packing peanut" beer.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
AllHopAbandon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I'd give it a shot, but I can't find packing peanuts in Beersmith. Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Hahaha. I'd weigh them and treat is as flaked corn or something?

Old 11-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Sounds fun.

It's cornstarch, so it's adjunct like any other corn based product. The only issue to figure out is if the process to make them into peanuts pre-gelatinized them or not. I.e. if they're like flaked corn, and don't need to be converted, or if you need to do a cereal mash with them, like you would with plain old cornstarch or grits or whatever.

I guess the way to know would be to heat some water to around 152 degrees. Drop a pound of peanutes (or maybe just a few handfuls) into the water, let them dissolve for 20 minutes, then take a gravity reading.

If they're not sweet then you just have to do a cereal mash with them and some two-row.

As to a recipe, this would be great for a basic cream ale, people on here, myself included, have used all manner of types of corn for this type of beer; popcorn, tortilla chips, grits, cornstarch, creamed corn, hominy, cornbread, corn cereal, anything made of corn. So it's not really unique in the sense that you're using corn.....just that the form the corn takes.

If you don't know what a cereal mash is, google it. The main sites that google brings up are excellent resources.

The only issue is to figure out the ppg of the corn. Maybe you DO need to be more formal in your structure of this experiment. Maybe you need to use 1 gallon of water, and one pound of peanuts. Or perhaps you can find the amount of cornstarch in there online. Or maybe just measuring them and treating them like cornstarch. This part I don't know.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply