Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Corn starch "packing peanut" beer.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
Lumberbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Corn starch "packing peanut" beer.

I have a quantity of corn starch packing peanuts that for... "scientific reasons" needs to be incorporated into a beer. Well, there's a gentlemen's wager involved, but really it's more of a morbid curiosity on the part of myself and my fellow brewers.

Backstory : I recently got in a shipment of malts (thanks AHS!) and needed to dispose of the peanuts they were packed with. They were the cornstarch variety which simply dissolve in water, so while we were cleaning up from a brew session I dumped them all in my kettle and a little hot water from the wort chiller made quick work.... they smelled like cooked corn... Of course as my friend is dumping them into the composter on top of the spent grains from the brew session, a little lightbulb goes off.

So anyways, I did some research and these things are non-toxic and 'FDA-approved' whatever that means, and are essentially 100% cornstarch with a lot of air. We ate a couple -- they taste like stale cheesy poofs, sans-cheese -- and haven't died yet. So... why not?
We secured a bag of brand new peanuts for the task and are thinking of taking some BMC clone recipe and replacing the flaked corn with peanuts. Probably just a 2-3gal batch. But... we don't have any idea what ratio to substitute what is essentially pure cornstarch in place of flaked corn. Thoughts ??? Certainly less I think... I could take a few oz of 6-row and mash with an equal weight of the peanuts to see what gravity comes out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2010, 03:54 AM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Thoughts ???

6 ate 9

Old 08-04-2010, 04:05 AM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I think you are completely insane, the idea is ridiculous and therefore I support it completely!

The peanuts dissolve in water, so you might want to try to dissolve them in your mash water and then add that to your 2-row. You'd probably get pretty good conversion that way since as the enzymes are pulled from the 2-row into the water they would have complete access to the starches.

No idea what proportions to use, but definitely not a 1-1 replacement for flaked corn since not all the mass of the corn is starch that is converted. An experimental mash just to see what gravity you get might be a good idea. Half lb of 2-row, half lb of peanuts and 1.5 qts of water maybe? You can predict how many pts you should get from the 2-row and figure what you get per lb of peanuts that way.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:07 AM   #4
caphector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You know, I have no idea how that would work. I'd imagine the enzymes in 2- or 6-row could break down the starch in the packing peanuts.

Not sure if they'd do anything other than create sugar; I'd treat 'em like corn, I think. Keep it simple so you what it does to the beer.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:11 AM   #5
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I have nothing to add....other than that is waaaay cool!! Good Luck!!

Old 08-04-2010, 04:27 AM   #6
PintOfBitter
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

this is awesome.

Triple Hopped, and now Jet-Puffed.

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 11-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Just had to resurrect this post- had exactly the same thought last night while digging through my huge AHS order. Wonder if anybody has ACTUALLY done this.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Sounds like a recipe for a stuck mash.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #9
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

The OP hasn't been back since shortly after this thread was created. He may have set up his account to email him when he gets a PM. Might send him one and see if it brings him back.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 11-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #10
InityBrew
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Hmm.. original poster decides to brew batch of beer with "supposed fda approved" packing peanuts and then disappears.. not a good sign.

Haus Of Kane

Quick Reply