Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Corn for an American Lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

You can also use creamed corn, right out of a can. Or you can use grits/cornmeal, but you have to do a cereal mash to them, since they aren't pregelatinized like flaked corn or corn flakes. I've also used tortilla chips in my mash as well.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
MannyZ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I've been using Albers Quick Grits from the grocery store. I think you can add them directly to the mash but I've been cooking them according to the directions on the box, cooling to mash temp and adding them in at the beginning of the mash. Subtract the volume of water used in cooking from the total volume of strike water if the grits were included as part of your total water/grain ratio. Rice hulls may be needed as well to avoid a stuck sparge.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
Minky
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I've also used tortilla chips in my mash as well.
Wow! What effect did the oil have on the final product?

Old 11-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minky View Post
None. The grain absorbs it and filters it. Same with using chocolate.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
rcsoccer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Minute Rice is pre-cooked and gelatinized so it can be added directly to a mash. I have successfully used it. I forget its potential, but I believe it's about 1.038 or 39. I think quick grits can also be added directly to a mash. I don't know what the potential is for the grits though.
I think you are right with this, but you definitely need to use some rice hulls because the minute rice and quick grits will disintegrate in the mash and you might get a stuck sparge.

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
- Dave Barry

Old 11-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #16
geezerpk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I use quick grits in a lot of my recipes. My mash tun is a bag in a bucket. When I use grits I dump the grits in the bag. A gallon of boiling, or near boiling water. Cover the bucket and let the grits gelatinize and the tun temp to stablize at the same time. Then stir in the rest of the strike water to the temp I'm shooting for and add the rest of the grains and start timing the mash.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #17
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Does anyone use cocoa powder in their mash?

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 11-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #18
Minky
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsoccer View Post
I think you are right with this, but you definitely need to use some rice hulls because the minute rice and quick grits will disintegrate in the mash and you might get a stuck sparge.
Yeah. If I recall correctly, I think I've gone as high as 10% of the grain bill with Minute Rice without the addition of rice hulls, but I may have been pushing my luck. I've never had a stuck sparge, but I can imagine it is not fun.

Speaking of rice hulls, I'll never forget the first time I bought them. When the brew store guy asked how much I wanted, I said "how about five pounds". He asked if I was sure. Then he showed me how much that was. It must have been a couple of bushels!!

Old 11-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #19
Zuljin
16%er
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3615 Times on 3293 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
None. The grain absorbs it and filters it. Same with using chocolate.
About the grain absorbing the oil. I was inspired by Wild Ginger to use chopped pecans in an all grain brew recently. I did toast and blot them, but not to the Nth degree. No oil issues in the end product. No oily residue. It forms a great head.

So, not wanting to go near a grocery store today, I stopped at the farmers market for popin' corn. They had none. They had fresh corn on the cob.

Well I be damned if fresh corn on the cob isn't made of corn. I want to put corn in a beer. Corn seems to be a good choice of product to get corn from.

I guess I should cook, or cereal mash, this like when I used buckwheat and spelt, you think?

I've 10 ears for 5 gallons.

My recipe now is
5 pounds two row
5 pounds six row
2 1/2 pounds flaked rice from the lhbs
10 ears of corn on the cob
1 oz Liberty hops
1 oz Mt Hood hops
Fermentis dry lager yeast, either S-23 or W-34/70

If I use all the rice and corn, it would count as a Standard American lager by BJCP style. Maybe if I knock a pound to a pound and a half of rice off, it would be Premium. I'll have to weigh the corn.

Style aside, do you think this is too much adjunct? Would 10 rather large ears of sweet corn be too much? Should I take it off the cob or chunk it in cob and all. I'm leaning to cob and all, just cut in half for easier handling.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #20
Zuljin
16%er
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3615 Times on 3293 Posts
Likes Given: 557

No. Now I think about it, not being lazy and taking it off the cob will let me get more out of it.

Quick Reply